Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Me Not to Return This Uke! (Need Advice)

Default Tell Me Not to Return This Uke! (Need Advice)

Okay, so I got my second ukulele yesterday. I was sooooo excited. It had taken a while for it to get here (this model of LoPrinzi sopranos is on backorder, like, everywhere). I wanted to be sooooo in love with it. Well... I was really enamored with it until I saw that the neck looks twisted, up by the headstock. I've attached two pics, one from the headstock and one from the bridge.

I'm so bummed. I wasn't expecting the uke to be perfect, of course. I can deal with finish flaws and all that (if all I wanted was bling, I could have spent a lot less on a new uke, or just bedazzled my Kala). But if the neck is twisted, what to do?

I have emailed the same pics to the dealer, who is very reputable, does setups with all ukes, etc. I'm well within the return window, as the uke just arrived yesterday. It sounds fine, but gets out of tune--of course, it has new strings, plus there's the fact that I'm new to friction tuners. Hard to say if there's a resulting intonation problem.

Feel free to convince me I'm crazy, the uke's fine, just ignore it. I need advice from the folks in the know, so that's why I'm here. Believe me, I'd much rather be posting a happy "New Uke Day" thread. I feel sad for the poor li'l uke, whatever happened to it.

IMG_2320.jpgIMG_2340.jpg
    Laura

Haʻina ʻia mai ana ka puana

Hippie Dribble Guest

No, you're not crazy. The uke's not fine. Just looking at the angle of the nut, there's got to be resultant intonation issues. You can't ignore that I'm afraid, a replacement is in order. No way that one should have made it through a QC check.

A friend told me if you're not in love with new uke the day you get it, it is not for you.
    Plus, that new uke has a twisted neck, send it back. Surprised that wasn't noticed by the dealer.

Ditto what Jon said. Get a replacement. Loprinzi's are fantastic. Elderly has some cherry sopranos in stock.

No doubt a major flaw...I'm surprised Augie and Donna let it leave their shop with that neck. Return it ASAP!
    FYI I have a Loprinzi concert in my arsenal and it's a real sweetheart! Find another Loprinzi...they do make great ukes!

Actually, the uke is fine and there should be no intonation issues at all. Don't think of all the strings together, try to think of each string in its own plane. It doesn't not matter that the neck has a slight twist, each string acts independent of the others. As long as the fret spacing is fine, which it is because a slight twist does not affect this, the distance from the nut to the bridge saddle is correct, again it is for the same reasons, the uke will play fine. The only reason you should return it is because you don't like the slight twist. The neck can actually be twisted twice as much the uke should still be fine intonation wise. Check the intonation on each string, you will see that I am correct.

I have made ukes where each string has a different fret spacing and a different distance from the nut to the bridge saddle. This was a fan fret instrument and it played just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBearUkes View Post
    Actually, the uke is fine and there should be no intonation issues at all. Don't think of all the strings together, try to think of each string in its own plane. It doesn't not matter that the neck has a slight twist, each string acts independent of the others. As long as the fret spacing is fine, which it is because a slight twist does not affect this, the distance from the nut to the bridge saddle is correct, again it is for the same reasons, the uke will play fine. The only reason you should return it is because you don't like the slight twist. The neck can actually be twisted twice as much the uke should still be fine intonation wise. Check the intonation on each string, you will see that I am correct.

I have made ukes where each string has a different fret spacing and a different distance from the nut to the bridge saddle. This was a fan fret instrument and it played just fine.
    Daune, I find what you're saying very hard to believe. We did some R&D on neck twists. It's a bigger problem than many realize, and we wanted to see if we could come up with a construction that would eliminate the possiblilty altogether. We think we did, but that's another story.

At the very least, the saddle on this needs to go down on the 1st string to get it to intonate correctly. And then who's to say it's finished moving?

p.s: often a neck doesn't move until after it's left the shop
    Last edited by southcoastukes; 02-07-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    Dirk Wormhoudt

email: sales@southcoastukes.com

Send it back.....pronto...

Regardless of intonation -- even if it's intonation is perfect -- who wants to spend hundreds on an instrument with a twist in it? Might as well buy it with polkadots. They don't impact intonation, either. That needs to be replaced.
    Why, for God's sake, popular song IS American culture! - Irving Caesar
    These are UKULELES. They are not Grand Pianos. - MrEWorm
    Never let someone else tell you what you're supposed to like. - RichM

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
    Regardless of intonation -- even if it's intonation is perfect -- who wants to spend hundreds on an instrument with a twist in it? Might as well buy it with polkadots. They don't impact intonation, either. That needs to be replaced.
    No doubt about it

Thread Information