FS Maestro Island Series Concert Ukulele Cedar/ Pheasant Wood $800

pakhan

Reaction score
Up for adoption, this is a Maestro Island Series offering seriously good tone at a great price in an all round package which is hard to beat!

The combination of cedar and Pheasant Wood is wonderful, there is projection and complexity with a bell like tonality from the Pheasant Wood which is appealing.

Just $800!

New, with warranty from maker
Cedar top
Pheasant Wood back and sides
Curly Maple Wood binding with 4ply BWB purfling on top
Curly Maple Wood bound fingerboard
Khaya Mahogany neck
Soundport
Pheasant Wood headstock veneer
MOP rosette in an Art Deco Style
Bevel style cutaway
Flying Dove inlay in Curly Maple Wood
Gloss Finish
Lightweight Open Gold Grover tuners with black buttons
Deluxe Hardshell case- very high quality faux leather style case.

Sound file & more photos available here

2012-Maestro-Island-Series-Cedar-Pheasant-wood-Concert.jpg

2012-Maestro-Island-Series-Cedar-Pheasant-wood-Concert6.jpg

2012-Maestro-Island-Series-Cedar-Pheasant-wood-Concert8.jpg

2012-Maestro-Island-Series-Cedar-Pheasant-wood-Concert9.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen pheasant wood before. Very attractive instrument. The inlay is a pheasant. You have it listed as a dove. I've also never seen a wood inlay on the top with the purfling laid in as it is. Very unique. I like it.

I thought it was a white tropic bird inlay :D

That is a gorgeous instrument. It's essentially the same as the Maestro Mango Concert uke I purchased from the same seller, Terence at dreamukes.com, in January 2013, but with different types of wood. If I hadn't already bought the Mango version, I would be sorely tempted by this one.

I don't know about the Cedar & Pheasant Wood combo, but I was just playing my Maestro Mango Concert and it sounds amazing! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Maestro Mango uke I bought from dreamukes.com

I do know that Terence (aka pakhan) is an excellent uke dealer with great service, who takes good care of his customers, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.

I imagine anyone who likes Cedar-topped ukes would not be disappointed with this one.

Last edited:
Gorgeous! Wish my playing skill warranted something like this. Maybe in a few years!

I'm a newbie...and trying to learn all I can about the construction and design of ukuleles, not to mention improving my playing (esp. finger picking). This concert has 12 frets to the body. Is this scale typical of this brand's concert sized ukes....or is it small for concerts?

Thanks

Dear friends,

thanks for comments,

It is indeed a Pheasant- the other guys here said Dove and I was out voted but once an outside says pheasant, I get to over ride them!

Dave-O, the scale length is a function of the distance from the nut to the saddle, with the resulting bridge placement and frets to the body as part of the overall design. The scale is the standard concert scale length.

Thanks also to Steedy, who is a fabulous customer.

On a side note, I am impressed with some of these Island series ukes, as they don't fall into the same trap of the production instruments where a lot of bells and whistles are included but the tone falls flat. I happen to know the founder and was lucky enough to head down to pick out the ukes. This lot here I think sound fabulous for the price, and all the nice options come as an added bonus.

pheasant.jpg
Just a photo to support my theory of the Pheasant inlay....... Gee, I wish I could afford this uke <sigh>

Yup I agree, it's all in proportion/ tail feathers...

Top Bottom