Season 52: and now for something completely different...

darn,. that's the one I've been practicing. you did a great job with it.

Turn The Page is one of my favorites; apparently Metallica feels the same way. Maybe if someone else posts a bonus video of that song, maybe that'll make it easier for you to follow suit..

Los Gatos? I was raised in Los Altos, as was my Dad. Spent every day and night at all the kid hot spots in the area- How old are ya Joko? We may have bumped into each other late night back in the day. Smoking section was my first year of HS, law passed and we were pissed.
ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod.... I am a metalhead from waay back. Remembering back to 1985 and the smoking section at Los Gatos High School, where the biggest debate of the day was "Is Metallica better than Led Zeppelin?" It was a conflict of old versus new, and new won.

What to choose... what to choose...

How old are ya Joko? We may have bumped into each other late night back in the day..

LGHS Class of 1988. 100th year of my high school... Then went on to a college of wherein I was of the 1st graduating class, but that's beside the point.

You may yet get more whisky....sorry. Well I'm not sorry really. I like it. The song, that is. When I've done some work....... have to do some sometime.....

Hi All,

Here's another cop-out entry of a song that Metallica covered: Cretin Hop. I tried to make it folky for the noise-averse...It may be my favorite Ramones song, I apologize to any cretins that may take offense.

Last edited:
Well I already recorded one song that would technically fit for this season, but I have an idea for another song. So I guess this could be a bonus track...

Hi All,

Here's another cop-out entry of a song that Metallica covered: Cretin Hop. I tried to make it folky for the noise-averse...It may be my favorite Ramones song, I apologize to any cretins that may take offense.

Ouch! I'm taking that "another cop-out entry" to heart:))) so - OK if it is at all possible, and to rise to the challenge we have been given, I will try and do a REAL Metallica song! Um... IF I can.
My son did say he may be able to suggest some so I will consult with him.

Okay...seeing as how this is the big anniversary I'm going to make some time to record something for this week - y'all may have to suffer through my rendition of Turn the Page...

Or...maybe I'll get real brave and folkify one of Metallica's own songs - I think folkifying them is the only way to make it work on a solo uke.

John

I should dig up the article I wrote about how early speed metal was poetry of the Cold War. If you examine the content and themes of the mid-80's metal, you'll find continuous themes of death from above, nuclear war, etc.. At one point in my life, I was exposed to the poetry written by soldiers in the trenches of WWI, and I was astonished to see how similar their poetry was to the lyrics of bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc.. In any case, I went into an in depth analysis of comparing the early 80's to trench warfare. We were all waiting for "the big one"... an inevadible rendezvous with death... at least us young people were.

In any case, I'll save my sociological comparisons of different kinds of art for another day.

My cat was sleeping on the windowsill to my left as I recorded this. She fell off right as I was getting to the hard part of the instrumental break... Enjoy!

ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod.... I am a metalhead from waay back. Remembering back to 1985 and the smoking section at Los Gatos High School, where the biggest debate of the day was "Is Metallica better than Led Zeppelin?" It was a conflict of old versus new, and new won.

What to choose... what to choose...

First of all, you have no idea what joy I get from seeing you made up as Peter Criss every time you post.
Secondly, LOS GATOS HIGH?! My nephew currently goes there and I spent a year there as a substitute (2001) and worked as a bartender at CB Hannigans for a couple of years. Perhaps I server you a beverage?
Lastly, rock on!

LOS GATOS HIGH?! My nephew currently goes there and I spent a year there as a substitute (2001) and worked as a bartender at CB Hannigans for a couple of years. Perhaps I server you a beverage?
Lastly, rock on!

Let's see..in 2001 I was living in Oakland, and although I did visit the parents in the Santa Cruz Mountains on occasion in those days, I don't think I ever got to Cb Hannigans (1992, different story, was there every weekend).

Hi Christian - will you be putting up a playlist with a link in the first post, as many have done lately? It helps to keep track..... :)

If this is only the 52nd week, wouldn't NEXT week be the anniversary?

- FiL

Well...I guess technically so...but since I'm hosting the season next week and won't get to participate this one is the anniversary for me :)

John

Hey guys!!! I've missed you all so much. So. Most of the guys I dated used to listen to this stuff in the car, all the time. So here we go. I'm doing "Wherever I May Roam." The lyrics got stuck in my head, but there was no way my uke or my voice was going to be able to handle driving power chords, so, whatever, I changed the chords a bit. My computer was falling apart, so even though I played louder and my voice opened up in other takes, this is the one you get. :)

Hey guys!!! I've missed you all so much. So. Most of the guys I dated used to listen to this stuff in the car, all the time. So here we go. I'm doing "Wherever I May Roam." The lyrics got stuck in my head, but there was no way my uke or my voice was going to be able to handle driving power chords, so, whatever, I changed the chords a bit. My computer was falling apart, so even though I played louder and my voice opened up in other takes, this is the one you get. :)
Great to see the Girls in on Metallica - so far I haven't had the courage! I like your style, made me smile!

Top Bottom