Should I care??

Jimmypenguin

Reaction score
So, I took delivery of my Martin Oxk on Friday, mail ordered and nicely set up from the other end of the U.K.
Beautiful workhorse Uke, sounds great etc..But every other one I have seen in local shops has a compensated saddle, mine does not, its serial number is 1030 so assuming they numbers sequentially its a couple of years old...pre compensated saddle....should I care about this or not?
Do I request a newer one or is that just stupid?
Thanks people

If it sounds great, it sounds great.

If you have no problems with your OXK, leave it alone. Hey, many, if not most, great ukes do not have a compensated saddle.

If you didn't care enough to buy a new one from one of the local shops, why should you care about this? Why do you think mail order is cheaper? They don't have a local store to keep open, so they can sell you something you don't like.
Caviat emptor.

Last edited:
If you didn't care enough to buy a new one from one of the local shops, why should you care about this? Why do you think mail order is cheaper? They don't have a local store to keep open, so they can sell you something you don't like.
Caviat emptor.

There, I guess you've been told, Jimmypenguin! Repent, the end is near.

As long as there are no issues with the intonation, you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy your new Uke!!!

Scooter

So, I took delivery of my Martin Oxk on Friday, mail ordered and nicely set up from the other end of the U.K.
Beautiful workhorse Uke, sounds great etc..But every other one I have seen in local shops has a compensated saddle, mine does not, its serial number is 1030 so assuming they numbers sequentially its a couple of years old...pre compensated saddle....should I care about this or not?
Do I request a newer one or is that just stupid?
Thanks people

I will leave the answers to your question to the experts, but congratulations! I'm suffering from some Martin UAS myself, so I'm living vicariously through other people's purchases.

There, I guess you've been told, Jimmypenguin! Repent, the end is near.

LOL!

Caviat emptor.

A fair point but the local shop is a massive, uncaring guitar shop and part of a chain and the Shop I ordered from is an small, independent folk music store who do lovely set up work. Its one of my casual daydreams that the two were swapped around.

Anyway, you are quite right, it sounds good, plays nicely and the intonation is solid so I shall keep hold of it.
It was just one of those things its nice to hear someone else confirm.

Thanks

A fair point but the local shop is a massive, uncaring guitar shop and part of a chain and the Shop I ordered from is an small, independent folk music store who do lovely set up work. Its one of my casual daydreams that the two were swapped around.

Anyway, you are quite right, it sounds good, plays nicely and the intonation is solid so I shall keep hold of it.

Thanks

The place you ordered from sounds lovely. I meant to welcome you to UU in my earlier comment. Hope you stick around!

Thanks

:) Welcome!
"Guitar Shop" ... What the heck is a "guitar" :confused:

I think some folks on UU truly don't know how rare a good uke shop with a wide selection is. I couldn't even tell you where the nearest place that has more then just a couple of Lanikai's and Kala's on the wall is. Boston maybe? NYC? Quebec? I honestly have no idea.

So "we" folks try to mail order from places like HMS or Uke Republic or Mim's and support good quality mail order folks.

Congrats and Welcome! I don't have a local shop and have ordered my ukes from reputable dealers right here on our Forum. All "mail ordered" and all fantastic!

The only reason for a compensated saddle is to improve intonation up the neck. Intonation up the neck is extremely dependent on the strings chosen. If the uke sounds good and intonates reasonably well up the neck with the strings you're using, no need for a compensated saddle.

If you decide you need a compensated saddle, the same shop can probably order one for you from Martin for a couple of...pounds, Euros, whatever it is you folks are using over there this week. :)

John

Top Bottom