Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Should I care??

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Near Brighton England
    Posts
    9

    Default Should I care??

    So, I took delivery of my Martin Oxk on Friday, mail ordered and nicely set up from the other end of the U.K.
    Beautiful workhorse Uke, sounds great etc..But every other one I have seen in local shops has a compensated saddle, mine does not, its serial number is 1030 so assuming they numbers sequentially its a couple of years old...pre compensated saddle....should I care about this or not?
    Do I request a newer one or is that just stupid?
    Thanks people

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    305

    Default

    If it sounds great, it sounds great.
    Why, for God's sake, popular song IS American culture! - Irving Caesar
    These are UKULELES. They are not Grand Pianos. - MrEWorm
    Never let someone else tell you what you're supposed to like. - RichM

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    McDonough, GA
    Posts
    4,494

    Default

    If you have no problems with your OXK, leave it alone. Hey, many, if not most, great ukes do not have a compensated saddle.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oak Park, Illinois
    Posts
    2,925

    Default

    If you didn't care enough to buy a new one from one of the local shops, why should you care about this? Why do you think mail order is cheaper? They don't have a local store to keep open, so they can sell you something you don't like.
    Caviat emptor.
    Last edited by stevepetergal; 02-10-2013 at 02:54 AM.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevepetergal View Post
    If you didn't care enough to buy a new one from one of the local shops, why should you care about this? Why do you think mail order is cheaper? They don't have a local store to keep open, so they can sell you something you don't like.
    Caviat emptor.
    There, I guess you've been told, Jimmypenguin! Repent, the end is near.
    Why, for God's sake, popular song IS American culture! - Irving Caesar
    These are UKULELES. They are not Grand Pianos. - MrEWorm
    Never let someone else tell you what you're supposed to like. - RichM

  6. #6

    Default

    "We're a local shop, selling local ukuleles for local people"

    The-League-of-Gentlemen-008.jpg
    Last edited by whatevershebringswesing; 02-10-2013 at 04:24 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Flanders, New Jersey
    Posts
    754

    Default

    As long as there are no issues with the intonation, you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy your new Uke!!!



    Scooter

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    MN, USA
    Posts
    4,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmypenguin View Post
    So, I took delivery of my Martin Oxk on Friday, mail ordered and nicely set up from the other end of the U.K.
    Beautiful workhorse Uke, sounds great etc..But every other one I have seen in local shops has a compensated saddle, mine does not, its serial number is 1030 so assuming they numbers sequentially its a couple of years old...pre compensated saddle....should I care about this or not?
    Do I request a newer one or is that just stupid?
    Thanks people
    I will leave the answers to your question to the experts, but congratulations! I'm suffering from some Martin UAS myself, so I'm living vicariously through other people's purchases.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
    There, I guess you've been told, Jimmypenguin! Repent, the end is near.
    LOL!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Near Brighton England
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevepetergal View Post
    If you didn't care enough to buy a new one from one of the local shops, why should you care about this? Why do you think mail order is cheaper? They don't have a local store to keep open, so they can sell you something you don't like.
    Caviat emptor.
    A fair point but the local shop is a massive, uncaring guitar shop and part of a chain and the Shop I ordered from is an small, independent folk music store who do lovely set up work. Its one of my casual daydreams that the two were swapped around.

    Anyway, you are quite right, it sounds good, plays nicely and the intonation is solid so I shall keep hold of it.
    It was just one of those things its nice to hear someone else confirm.

    Thanks

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    MN, USA
    Posts
    4,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmypenguin View Post
    A fair point but the local shop is a massive, uncaring guitar shop and part of a chain and the Shop I ordered from is an small, independent folk music store who do lovely set up work. Its one of my casual daydreams that the two were swapped around.

    Anyway, you are quite right, it sounds good, plays nicely and the intonation is solid so I shall keep hold of it.
    It was just one of those things its nice to hear someone else confirm.

    Thanks
    The place you ordered from sounds lovely. I meant to welcome you to UU in my earlier comment. Hope you stick around!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •