Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share you buying knowledge and experiences of your new ukes..on your fav LUTHIER

Default Share you buying knowledge and experiences of your new ukes..on your fav LUTHIERS

Yes I thought it would be a good idea for all the newbies and as well the oldies on purchasing new ukes....Let me start first..

1) Master Class
    Chuckie Moore, Rick Turner, William King, Eric/ Devine ukes etc.

2)Custom Builders Class
    Fredirico Vento, Lymana, Koa Works, Toni Maloon, Da Silva, Pohaku etc.

3)Budget Friendly Custom Luthiers Class
    , Brad Dondaldson, Mike Perreira, Willie Wixom etc

4)Off the rack Premimum Factory Built Ukulele Class
    All K-brands, Collings, Vintage Martins and Gibsons etc.

5)Budget friendly eastern factory ukes..
    Mainland, Vineyard, Ohana, Mele, KPK, Kala etc.

6)USA made Budget friendly ukes.
    Flukes, Fleas, Sailor ukes...

7)Up and Coming New Luthiers..
    Please help me here....

8)Factory Beginners Low budget Ukes
    KPK, Vineyard, MaKai, Oscar Schmidt, Kala etc.

9)Favorite ukulele venders.
    HMS, Uke Republic, MIm's, Mainland Ukes etc..

10)Favorite Strings...
    Southcoast, Martins, Aquila, Alohi, Living Waters, Worth Clears etc.

If you have your own list, Please post your list favorites..
    Mahalo Plenty....we all can benefit from this including me....
    Last edited by mm stan; 02-09-2013 at 08:11 PM.

3) Budget Friendly Luthiers: http://www.sprucehouseukuleles.com -- Al makes a great ukulele! I think the SO model is one of those superb new classes of laminate instruments--solid top, but that great thin laminate on the sides. Best of all worlds. A really nice alternative to the Kiwaya KS1 and made in USA by a luthier in the great Pacific Northwest.

4) Off the Rack Premium: Kamaka pineapple--a classic (I own one.) And all the standard Kamakas I have played in the last few years have been simply world class. I also have a modern Martin 2M Soprano made in USA. Absolutely top notch--a Martin all the way. You can't go wrong with either of these brands.

8)Factory Beginners Low Budget Ukes: Ohana, Ohana and Ohana. And BTW, they aren't just beginner ukes. The SK38, SK 21 and even the basic SK35 are simply wonderful instruments. You could do no better on a budget than to look at Ohana first. Maybe not as sexy as other brands, but these instruments are winners!
    Also, the two Kala ukes I have are winners: the ever popular Dolphin--simply the best under $50 uke in history. And My Kala KA-B laminate baritone is simply delightful. I bought it from Amazon--out of the box, and it was simply superb.

9)Favorite Ukulele Vendors: There are several good ones. But let me just say that I miss MGM on Ebay. There was simply no better Ambassador of Uke than Mike. I am so happy he is at HMS. I have yet to buy from them, but I'm sure I will, and knowing that MGM is there will make that easier for me.
    For vintage ukes, I can highly endorse www.gryphonstrings.com

10)Favorite Strings...
    Martin 600s on all my mahogany ukes. Southcoast on the Barrys; Aquilla on the Dolphin; Fremont Black Hards on my Kamaka. (See the STRING DATABASE link in my signature--and add your experiences!)
    My Soprano Empire:
    VINTAGE MARTINS: c.'48 Martin 0
    OTHER VINTAGE: c30s Blue Favilla, c50 TV Pal, 30s Redhead
    MODERN MARTINS: OXK; 2012 2M
    KAMAKA: 2010 Pineapple (RIP MGM)

My Baritone Empire:
    '12 Kala KA-B, '69 Silvertone, c.'53-57 Favilla, c.'63 Martin, '11 Kamaka

STRUMTESTS//ADD to The STRING DATABASE and UKE CASE DATABASE // Take the NAME THAT MARTIN test.

Pohaku. Peter Hurney at Pohaku.

I don;t think you have one of those yet, mmstan. lol It's so deftly built and intoned that it's scary!
    Martin Sopranos: 0M: 30, 64 ---
    1M: 22Dit, 23Dit, 24Dit, 49, 55--1K 26
    2M: 22, 23Dit, 23Dit, 49, 60, 12 --- 2K: 25, 12
    3M: 25, 48, 55x2, 12(ch) 3K: 29
    The Gibsons: Styles 2&3 28;1&2&3x3 27;UB1 25
    Tonk American 28; Favilla 55; Smeck Vita 30; Kamaka Gold Deluxe 60
    Kiwaya Thinline KS-0P Soprano; Gretsch American 30
    Covered Bridge Honduran Hog tenor
    Pono Maple Tenor, BE Acacia Bari & MS Sop

Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    Pohaku. Peter Hurney at Pohaku.

I don;t think you have one of those yet, mmstan. lol It's so deftly built and intoned that it's scary!
    Have one...he he

Quote Originally Posted by pdxuke View Post
    3) Budget Friendly Luthiers: http://www.sprucehouseukuleles.com -- Al makes a great ukulele! I think the SO model is one of those superb new classes of laminate instruments--solid top, but that great thin laminate on the sides. Best of all worlds. A really nice alternative to the Kiwaya KS1 and made in USA by a luthier in the great Pacific Northwest.

4) Off the Rack Premium: Kamaka pineapple--a classic (I own one.) And all the standard Kamakas I have played in the last few years have been simply world class. I also have a modern Martin 2M Soprano made in USA. Absolutely top notch--a Martin all the way. You can't go wrong with either of these brands.

8)Factory Beginners Low Budget Ukes: Ohana, Ohana and Ohana. And BTW, they aren't just beginner ukes. The SK38, SK 21 and even the basic SK35 are simply wonderful instruments. You could do no better on a budget than to look at Ohana first. Maybe not as sexy as other brands, but these instruments are winners!
    Also, the two Kala ukes I have are winners: the ever popular Dolphin--simply the best under $50 uke in history. And My Kala KA-B laminate baritone is simply delightful. I bought it from Amazon--out of the box, and it was simply superb.

9)Favorite Ukulele Vendors: There are several good ones. But let me just say that I miss MGM on Ebay. There was simply no better Ambassador of Uke than Mike. I am so happy he is at HMS. I have yet to buy from them, but I'm sure I will, and knowing that MGM is there will make that easier for me.
    For vintage ukes, I can highly endorse www.gryphonstrings.com

10)Favorite Strings...
    Martin 600s on all my mahogany ukes. Southcoast on the Barrys; Aquilla on the Dolphin; Fremont Black Hards on my Kamaka. (See the STRING DATABASE link in my signature--and add your experiences!)
    Had a chance to get a spruce house..I've heard about them...good things...

[QUOTE=mm stan;1182934]Yes I thought it would be a good idea for all the newbies and as well the oldies on purchasing new ukes....Let me start first..

1) Master Class

2)Custom Builders Class

Duwayne Hellman, Brad Dondaldson, Mike Perreira, Willie Wixom etc

Please help me here....

10)Favorite Strings...

Mahalo Plenty....we all can benefit from this including me....[/QUOTE

Your list leaves a lot to be desired and your knowledge of some luthiers is dated and limited. Please remove my name. My name is spelled Duane, not Duwayne. Thanks.

[QUOTE=BlackBearUkes;1183009]
    Quote Originally Posted by mm stan View Post
    Yes I thought it would be a good idea for all the newbies and as well the oldies on purchasing new ukes....Let me start first..

1) Master Class

2)Custom Builders Class

Duwayne Hellman, Brad Dondaldson, Mike Perreira, Willie Wixom etc

Please help me here....

10)Favorite Strings...

Mahalo Plenty....we all can benefit from this including me....[/QUOTE

Your list leaves a lot to be desired and your knowledge of some luthiers is dated and limited. Please remove my name. My name is spelled Duane, not Duwayne. Thanks.
    Aloha Mr Hellman, um Duane....
    After giving some thought and the initial shock of your attack and response to me pubically, I thought it was a darn right rude of you, you could have easily PM'd me with your concerns....I may have spelled your name wrong and put you in my budget customs, but I meant that in a very good way...to me your ukes are budget friendly high grade ukes....for that I appoligize....but
    that does not give him the right to attack me pubically.. I am truely dismayed by his response...if I am wrong about this PM me...after all this is
    just my opinion and preferences....I have always reguarded you highly before in stature and wanted a uke from you before....this may change things now and how I perceive you...
    Last edited by mm stan; 02-09-2013 at 09:51 PM.

I think that the goal of this thread (which, in my opinion, is an attempt to educate UU members about the wide spectrum of options for buying an ukulele ort having one built) is noble, but I think the attempt to classify luthiers may be problematic, simply because a luthier may not see himself/herself or his/her target market the way others might. I think the goal is noble, but I also think that people don't like to be defined by others.

I'd much prefer to see a thread in which luthiers themselves are invited to say what they do, what their design and building goals are, and what sort of ukulele player they contemplate satisfying. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by mds725 View Post
    I think that the goal of this thread (which, in my opinion, is an attempt to educate UU members about the wide spectrum of options for buying an ukulele ort having one built) is noble, but I think the attempt to classify luthiers may be problematic, simply because a luthier may not see himself/herself or his/her target market the way others might. I think the goal is noble, but I also think that people don't like to be defined by others.

I'd much prefer to see a thread in which luthiers themselves are invited to say what they do, what their design and building goals are, and what sort of ukulele player they contemplate satisfying. Just a thought.
    Aloha Mark,
    You are probally right, however it does not give him the right to attack me personally pubically...this is what I am so disappointed of....if he had concerns, he would address it to me
    in a personal message....
    Last edited by mm stan; 02-09-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mm stan View Post
    Aloha Mark,
    You are probally right, however it does not give him the right to attack me personally pubically...this is what I am so pissed off by....if he had concerns, he would address it to me
    in a personal message....
    That was unfortunate. I sent you a PM.

Thread Information