Anti-theft "device" for ukulele?

I have a friend who left a banjo in the car while grocery shopping.
When he came out, a rear window was shattered and there were 5 banjos on the back seat.

HAH!! that made me laugh out loud, well done. :) :) :)

Here in New England the joke is always not to leave your car unlocked downtown or you'll come back and find a box of zucchinis in it. (they grow like crazy and people always have more then they can use and are trying to give them away).

Hey Tonya,

Was wondering how the festival went and what options you went for?

Was also wondering about the Snagg and found it interesting, but having no trusted luthier near by, and not wanting to drill a hole in my ukulele by myself, are there any other little security gadgets like that, but without the having-to-make-a-hole-in your-instrument part?

It doesn't matter how original or personalized your instrument (or other valuables) can be, a robber will always find a way to make money off of it... I learned this the hard way and do not want to relive the experience!

This is an old thread but I like the devices that prevent the grab and go vs. those that might make recovery possible after the fact. So the cable lock, or especially the PacSafe as Lori suggested.

Okay, here's what I went with (and have used since):

--I bought the Targus Defcon Notebook Computer Security device (http://www.amazon.com/Targus-PA400U-Notebook-Computer-Security/dp/B00000J3UJ/ref=pd_sim_p_9). I discarded the little part of it that's to insert into a laptop since I'd only be using the lock/alarm/cable part of the setup.

--I placed my ukulele in its travel case, a Reunion Blues, and zipped it up.

--I wrapped the cable from the Targus device around the case and through the handle, securing the cable to a post.

--I set the security to emit a loud (and, let me tell you, it's really loud) motion alarm; it has two levels of sensitivity. If it senses any motion, it chirps; if the motion continues (including trying to pull the cable out of the lock) it will sound the siren alarm.

What I like about the unit is that it's (relatively) small--it fits easily in the outside slot pocket of the RB case. I know it's not foolproof and does nothing toward "recovery" of my precious MooreBettah ukulele if it *is* stolen. But I believe it does a more-than-reasonable job of protecting it from easily being carried away.

I know this is a resurrection of an old thread...and this may have already been mentioned...but does anybody else remember when the mere fact that it was a ukulele was enough of a deterrent to theft?

I guess only banjos and accordians are safe now... :)

John

Do you not use anti-theft equipment? I would recommend backpacks.global with an "anti-theft" system, they say a very good backpack and you can store valuables in it even at home. I think this is a good option for you as a solution to this problem. At festivals, there is something free and there will always be people who want to get free not only a poorly lying object, but also someone else's. I think you understand what kind of contingent we are talking about. It is better to be safe, otherwise you can lose even matches, because they are bad in your hands, and someone will want to steal it

Last edited:
Could you imagine what it would be like if you were at a ukulele festival and your alarm went off when someone was performing?

I would not worry about it, personally. There is a lot of social pressure not to steal an instrument at a uke festival where everyone knows each other.

More true than funny...
Put it in a Viola case ;)

Would never rely on an alarm (which requires it to remain functioning, someone to hear the alarm, someone to respond appropriately to the alarm) for my fiddle so...
I mean, people will steal ATM machines bolted to concrete walls & floors so...

Wow, old thread! I'm sure his ukulele was fine, since it was 8 years ago lol.

I would just do old school and put it in a locking case and bike-lock the case to the table.

The easiest solution is probably to not take a Moore Bettah to a festival where it might not be closely watched.

Top Bottom