Name YOUR top three ukes

Right now....

1. Cocobolo concert special build
2. Ohana koa concert CK-2006
3. Beltona concert resonator

That's easy, these are my top 3 in no particular order, but if I had to have just one ukulele, I think I'd keep the old Martin.

1933 or 34 Martin style 0
style0.jpg

Kanile'a K-2 CP concert
front.jpg

Martin Iz tenor
IMG_20200528_101947049_HDR.jpg

And, while not exactly a uke, this gets played the most these days, Kala solid spruce top, fretless Ubass
IMG_20190527_103445935.jpg

This week, my top three are my aNueNue Moon Bird Tenor (Low G), Romero Creations Tiny Tenor (Low G) and Cocobolo Cedar-Cocobolo Concert (High G). I've been working on a lot of Low G arrangements, so the two tenors are in high rotation, but next week, it could be something completely different and I'd gravitate more to the High G concerts. It's fluid...

How 'bout a bump...any updates on your top 3? I suspect many here might have some new favorites. Mine right now, in no particular order:

Farida KAT-3: solid mahogany 12 fret, Martin tenor styling, UkeLogic high tension reentrant strings. Not too expensive, just a sweet woody tenor sound, easy playing,

Concert Flea: hibiscus color, with wooden fingerboard, Martin M600 strings. This one never fails to satisfy, always fun to play. Super durable and portable, fits perfectly in a Kaces soprano gig bag.

Famous thinline FS-0 soprano. Just got this one back after selling it 4 years ago. Very loud, nice woody tone, wide nut and string spacing. The amount of sound is unbelievable, considering it's a thinline soprano.

Last edited:
I am totally in love with my Kanile'a Steven Espaniola Signature custom Koa tenor. Incredible sound and feels awesome.
My #2 is my Kanile'a KCS SS in premium Koa. It's an unruly little s** but, if I play her daily she really starts to groove.
#3 is my Fanner custom tenor. It's my only solid body electric. After a LOT of work on it, I can finally enjoy playing it.

I own three tenors and they're my three top ukes. They're the first three in my sig.

First is my Kamaka HF1 tenor
Second, my Ko'olau C1 concert
Third is my Flight TUS-35BK soprano

Ko'olau 'Ulu koa tenor: warm, bright and rich, with a hint of compression and focus of koa, a complex overtone series, and an incredibly defined attack. The most gratifying instrument I've ever owned, but it demands the player's full attention. I am blessed to be the current caretaker of this holy grail.

Takumi TT-1M mahogany tenor: may be in the honeymoon phase since this uke is only a few days old to me. Warm, balanced, slightly dark but with good separation and projection. Exceptionally lightweight. A versatile, neutral uke exhibiting a high degree of craftsmanship and playability. Can produce a very wide range of tones.

J. Rieck Lutherie #39 Carpathian spruce & koa tenor: warmth for days, with almost all sound concentrated around the fundamental and 1st and 2nd partials. Within those parameters, the uke is capable of a broad timbral range, and there doesn't seem to be a bad sound in the bunch. Wide string spacing and dynamic range make this uke an excellent choice for solo chord-melody arrangements.

Last edited:
Currently only have 3 and I try to stick to only about that many.

From most beloved to still fantastic but not quite as favored...

1. Pohaku Soprano
2. 1918 Weymann Soprano
3. UkeSA Hawaii AO Soprano

Last edited:
My top three are:

1. Pohaku soprano - spruce and curly maple

2. Ukiyo Vita soprano - spruce and ribbon mahogany

3. KoAloha tenor - all Koa tuned re-entrant dGBE

Looking at my first post to this thread, there's been a definite change for my top ukes, although clearly they're constantly in flux. Current top 3 is probably

1. Custom Laulu Soprano Ukulele, made from solid alder and by Juha Lottonen

2. aNueNue UC3K, definite new uke bias with this one though

3. KoAloha KSM-00, fell in love again with this one after making a new saddle for it

1: Kanilea K1 dlx tenor
2: Anuenue Light Bird cedar tenor
3: Kanilea K1 SF concert

It's interesting how our favourite ukuleles change over time.

My current top three are:

Kamaka HF-3 Tenor
Kanile'a K-1 Tenor
Romero Creations Tiny Tenor

They're the ones I play the most these days. The Kanile'a has a high G string and the other two are strung low G.

Also, it's funny how sometimes it takes me a while to warm up to a uke after acquiring it. That was the case with both the Kamaka and the Kanile'a Tenors when I bought them in 2016. Both are very nice of course, but I wasn't just blown away and couldn't play anything else when I first got them.

Then with each of them, it was like I pulled it out one day, started playing and thought, "Wow, this uke plays like butter and sounds amazing!" So now, I keep both my Kamaka and Kanile'a Tenors out and within easy reach in my music room.

My Tiny Tenor is a different story. As soon as it arrived, and I opened the box and started playing, I loved it. It just felt good and sounded great right away. I've never bonded with a uke so quickly as that one.

That's the top three in my rotation for now. Next week, next month, or next year, they all may be different.

1. NaLeo Koa Concert:
very rare Instrument. It was a high end approach from leolani. Solid Hawaiian Koa and built in Hawaii. No bling, but very good and elegant look.
Such a sweet tone...

2. Ayers Uluru Kohala II:
All olid Cedar and Rosewood. Best tuners of all my ukes
This Uke feels a bit like playing a tenor. It play so "exact", and has a bit of a guitar sound

3. Maestro UC-40:
Solid Spruce and Rosewood
Absolutely stunning look. Very nice sweet tone.

I wish I could. I had planned to sell some ukes "in the spring," and "the spring" is swiftly coming to an end. I can't even decide on which one of one hundred I am willing to sell. Ukes, I realize I have a problem.

If I were forced to choose, a favorite would have to be Hawaiian-made, and probably a KoAloha, Kamaka, or Kanile'a.

Ah - for Low G . . . KoAloha KTM00
For Bari . . . Pono Master Series Tenor with Guadalupe Strings (designed to tune a tenor to DGBE); its surprisingly good.
For pure fun . . . Harmony 6 string Bari tuned with a low low G string from Guadalupe.

Here're the top 10 most-liked ukes (as of post #198):

Brand Count
------- ---------
Kamaka 34
KoAloha 31
Martin 29
Pono 27
Kanile'a 25
Kala 22
Moore Bettah 16
Kiwaya 11
Ohana 10