Name YOUR top three ukes

I only own two, a Beansprout Alto (Maple/Spruce) and an Ohana CK-50MG (C for concert). I’m on the waiting list for a Beansprout baritone (woods to be chosen, although Aaron has set aside some nice flamed maple for me).

Here're the top 10 most-liked ukes (as of post #198):

Brand Count
------- ---------
Kamaka 34
KoAloha 31
Martin 29
Pono 27
Kanile'a 25
Kala 22
Moore Bettah 16
Kiwaya 11
Ohana 10
Loprinzi 10

Thanks for adding them up.
I'm surprised that builders like LFDM, Kinnard, and some of the other builders didn't make the top 10, but of course, more people have Kamakas than LFDMs, so that's at least part of the reason.

My top 3 is a fantasy list, rather than reality. LOL. Moore Bettah, LFDM, and Kinnard. (Concert size.) I'll never get to even try 2 out of 3, but they sure sound amazing. I at least can enjoy looking at them and listening to them online. :)
Oh, Collings would have to be on the list, so maybe I have a tie for #3, and can sneak a 4th choice in that way. LOL.

Thanks for adding them up.
I'm surprised that builders like LFDM, Kinnard, and some of the other builders didn't make the top 10, but of course, more people have Kamakas than LFDMs, so that's at least part of the reason.

My top 3 is a fantasy list, rather than reality. LOL. Moore Bettah, LFDM, and Kinnard. (Concert size.) I'll never get to even try 2 out of 3, but they sure sound amazing. I at least can enjoy looking at them and listening to them online. :)
Oh, Collings would have to be on the list, so maybe I have a tie for #3, and can sneak a 4th choice in that way. LOL.

They are well represented but just didn't make the top 10.

I also did not fix any spelling mistakes. For example, a poster listed "Kamaoa" as his favorite; and I counted that towards "Kamaoa".

Here's the full count:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JCKtiHHAy3NCFFErlQ0pOFviPnSH--uT/view?usp=sharing

1. LFdM super tenor...I've gone through many ukes over the years and this seems to have been the UAS killer for me.
2. Kinnard super tenor...beautiful sound and build. Wish I had kept it but I just couldn't adjust to the wider fretboard.
3. Koaloha Noah...for such a small size, it's got really good volume and that warm Hawaiian sound.

Last edited:
1. LFdM super tenor...I've gone through many ukes over the years and this seems to have been the UAS killer for me.
2. Kinnard super tenor...beautiful sound and build. Wish I had kept it but I just couldn't adjust to the wider fretboard.
3. Koaloha Noah...for such a small size, it's got really good volume and that warm Hawaiian sound.

Glancing at your signature, how would you describe) the XS Soprano in comparison to your Sopranino(s)? I'm trying to understand what the XS is and is not, relative to other 'true to size' instruments.

~ S.

The XS is a soprano scale size but in a shorter length body so that it is more portable. Sound-wise it's a soprano. My other sopraninos are shorter scale and tuned to ADF#B.

1. Koaloha anniversary red label all koa tenor - it's balanced in sound, is highly responsive to player input, and has limits way higher than I can play. I also can't sell it because I'll never see another one like it again.
2. Kamaka HF-3 - I just got this but to my surprise, (with Worth browns) it's what I want in an ukulele and little else.
3. Koaloha KSM-02 soprano longneck - this uke gets the third spot because it sounds fantastic and comes as a warranty replacement. Not only has it better tone and looks than the original - everything surrounding how it came to be goes to show just how awesome are the folks at Koaloha.

Last edited:
The XS is a soprano scale size but in a shorter length body so that it is more portable. Sound-wise it's a soprano. My other sopraninos are shorter scale and tuned to ADF#B.

Ah, I'd forgotten about the scale length-- thanks! I have an Ohana Sopranino strung with Fremont Hard Black strings that allow me to tune to GCEA without too much slack (I like the feel, actually), but the full soprano scale on a shorter (and unique) instrument intrigues me.

My current top three:
1) Rebel Acacia Concert
2) Rebel Mango Soprano
3) Anuenue UC-10 Concert

Numbers one and two are interchangeable, depending on the day; I love my Rebels! But the Acacia is slightly more forgiving and thus more instantly accessible, and I just plain enjoy its tone.

[With the soprano, the effect of the lighter tension strings plus ultra-chimy mango means more finesse is sometimes needed to not pull strings sharp or blow out(?) the sound. A modicum of more careful approach/technique-- which I find rewarding to pursue and improve, all told-- and the thing sings.]

The UC-10 pips my AMM2 due to playability and: Blue. The AMM2 has the better tone, but in an apples-to-oranges way: spruce over laminate is obviously going to leave it all upfront vs the delectable deeper tones of the AMM2, likely my best-sounding ukulele.
I do wonder if my impression of the AMM2 would change had it been setup by HMS as my UC-10 was. But, it still wouldn't be blue, so there's that. :rolleyes::cool:

My own Alto Beansprout is newly complete, and heading my way this coming week. Booyah! My rankings just might change.... ;)

~ S.

Favorites right now:

1. LFDM Tenor: Sinker Redwood and quilted Maple - Deep, rich sound that loves jazz, excellent sustain, clarity all the way up the neck to the nose bleed section. I've never had a custom before and wow, it's amazing.

2. Kala Elite 3 Concert: Koa - it used to be number three. I don't know whether my technique improved or it's the Uke Logic strings or if it's opened up with daily play, but lately it has more projection and the sustain goes for miles. What a sweet voice.

3. Blackbird Clara: It used to come before the Kala Elite. While I still love her, the sound of that Koa in the #2 spot has me by passing the Clara more. However, the Clara always comes out to play with others and goes on road trips.

Bluesy.

1: Custom Compass Rose Luxo Little Jumbo tenor cutaway with slotted headstock by Rick Turner: bloodwood back and sides with carbon fibre bracing, Adi spruce top, bolted-on (not glued) flamed maple neck, cantilevered ebony fretboard

2: Custom Compass Rose Standard tenor (B): walnut back and sides, bolted-on one piece walnut neck, giant sequoia top, cantilevered ebony fretboard

3: Blackbird BTU carbon fibre tenor, individual string pick-ups with RMC pre-amp. (uke not made anymore)

I also have a Koaloha soprano that I use when we have Hawaiian Night at our uke club and a Duke 10 banjolele for those country/Western/Bluegrass songs, but I love my low-g strung tenors.

1: Custom Compass Rose Luxo Little Jumbo tenor cutaway with slotted headstock by Rick Turner: bloodwood back and sides with carbon fibre bracing, Adi spruce top, bolted-on (not glued) flamed maple neck, cantilevered ebony fretboard

2: Custom Compass Rose Standard tenor (B): walnut back and sides, bolted-on one piece walnut neck, giant sequoia top, cantilevered ebony fretboard

3: Blackbird BTU carbon fibre tenor, individual string pick-ups with RMC pre-amp. (uke not made anymore)

Congrats, that's quite a Top Three!

Been a longtime since I posted on the ‘underground

1) Argapa soprano in tiger myrtle with a cedar top

2) Kumalae Style 1, I think, from 1940s (?). Long since re-homed.

And from Friday order might change, when KoAloha KTM-10 arrives…!

Last edited:
1 - Soprano Caramel CS419* A very sweet sound, and louder than you think. Extremely good with amp: -> Acoustic 260 "mini stack" head into an EV Zx1.

2 - Tenor Ohana BKT-70G I've only had 2 weeks, but it's seriously becoming my "gotta-grab-it-now" buddy.

3 - Baritone Caramel CB305 Amazing acoustically, and same as above when plugged in.

*Currently $39 on Amazon! Great starter uke. Like all, the factory action is high at the 1st fret and will need setup. When plugged in, leave bass and treble at 12:00, but turn mid all the way down. Then roll off treble as necessary for your amp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom