Name YOUR top three ukes

#3: Pre-Covered Bridge (i.e., created before CB was a brand) myrtle pineapple concert: lovely tone, good intonation, gorgeous wood.

#2: Boat Paddle M-style walnut and spruce soprano: beautiful ringing tone, great intonation, unusual shape.

#1: Willie Wixom rosewood and spruce concert with electronics: nice tone and intonation, striking design.

The Wixom has lately supplanted the Boat Paddle as my go-to uke, mainly because the BP has developed a persistent rattle that really bothers me. However, the BP's tone is still the best I've heard. The Wixom's tone is different but also lovely. The last owner sold it because it was too bright, but I don't really find that. When I first got it, it was unplayable, as it had developed a back-bow; a cunning luthier fixed it, and it has become my main performance uke.

The only one worth mentioning is my Kamaka Tiki.

I'm waiting to hear from Stan. He only gets to pick three and I bet one has a fishy inlay.

I'll play --

#3 -- my Flea.
#2 -- my Lori Espanol concert
#1 -- my Moore Bettah super-concert..

#3) Pono MBD.
#2) Mya Moe sinker redwood/koa resonator.
#1) William King koa tenor. This one took a while to get to know. Superb.

#2 and #1 are almost interchangeable. So different, but great for what they do.

3. bruko walnut soprano
2. black bear macadamia soprano
1. ono mango concert

All of mine are #1...they all play differently and I like them equally...

My HF-3L because of its uniqueness and roomy frets...great sound...and beauty
My HF-2L because it was my first...its uniqueness...and its Tenor neck
My K1-TP because of its chocolate wood...its finish...its brightness...and its "eye candy" appeal
My KTM-00 for its warm and bright low G sound...and its difference to all the others I own...

1) new Martin 3 cherry soprano

2) new Martin style 2 soprano

3) new Martin style 3 soprano

Yep, dem's dee brakes! hehe

Petey

#3 = KoAloha Concert w/ stock strings
#2 = Kamaka HF-1D Soprano w/ Living Water Strings
#1 = Collings UC-2 Mahogany Concert w/ Southcoast Strings

Thought I'd add: Before the string changes, the KoAloha was #1.

My Kala mahogany concert, 1,2, and 3...
Looking forward to a new Pono concert or a Moku concert soon...
then maybe a Sailor concert...or that one with a name I can never spell...
then, perchance to dream...a Moore Bettah concert... it all depends on how skilled I become, and of course, how many dead presidents the Universe bestows on me...

My Top Three

#1 - Mya Moe Curly Koa Classic Tenor # 524: I love this one for its awesome tone and warmth.
#2 - Mya Moe Sycamore Resonator Tenor #647 : Bought it to play finger style blues and clawhammer. Unbeatable.
#3 - Ohana Vita. Just because its so cute and loud.

Easy for me because I only have three:

1) Pono Acacia Tenor Electric
2) KPK Acacia Tenor
3) Koloa Mahogany Baritone

3. Pono
2. Richard Young... a local luthier in Greenville, SC
1. Loprinzi

I don't have many, but my list would be:
1) Compass Rose Claro Walnut tenor
2) Pono AT
3) Big Island Mango tenor

My only other uke is a Pono spruce/mahogany baritone, which sounds awesome but I'm struggling with the size, so it doesn't make my list.

1. Pono MT - It is the most versatile uke I own
2. Flea Concert - low action and a joy to play - if it had better fret markings it would be #1
3. Pono MB - it is a definitely different sound and it gets me a range of different keys that I can play.

the only one not on the list is my Islander - which got me hooked on this ukulele thing, but probably needs a little set-up work that I'm to chicken to do.

I can only comment on the three I'm playing most frequently at present. Because it will change.

Martin 1940s Tenor
Martin Style 1 Soprano (50s)
Favilla Baritone, c57ish

It gets warmer, and I'll be gravitating towards that Kamaka pineapple...
Told you it would change:

Current Top Three:

Favilla Baritone, c57
Favilla "Blue" 1930 Soprano
Martin Style 1, c50s

Top Bottom