Season 54 of the Ukulele

...And in other, just as depressing news, while on my way to occupational therapy this morning - less than 100 yards from the hospital, I was t-boned by another driver, at speed. My 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander has been totaled by the insurance company. I've got a rental for the next few weeks, and they will probably pay a bit less than 1/2 of what I paid new for the car, if I'm lucky. As it was, I was very lucky, and wasn't hurt at all. The front of the car - everything forward of the doors - was displaced by about 4 inches, so the collision was probably in excess of 60mph. And none of the airbags went off.

-Kurt​

Holy cow, Kurt! I'm glad you weren't hurt - that's no small thing. But man, that stinks~!

I'm sending positive vibes your way.

Thank you, Dave, Mrs. Dave and Dave's sister for giving me the red-tailed hawk. I couldn't be happier, especially considering the excellence of all your entries. What a great time I've had watching and participating. Thanks, everyone!!

Congrats to the freebirds who "won" - I agree this was a cracking week! Well done TCK!

Glad to hear you weren't hurt in the crash Kurt. Hope you can get some blood out of a stone.... er... I mean some money from the insurance sharks.

See y'all on 55!

Congrats to the winners! And thanks Dave for a great week of chirruping and soaring to new heights! Your hosting style was a joy. Shame it's over. And on to exploring new places with pabrizzer.... :D

Congratulations to the winners! And my apologies that with such an aviary of videos, I've had time to watch so few of them.

This was such a fun Season! You Seasonistas really rocked it with the bird songs. Congrats winners- your prizes are well-deserved. And thanks TCK and family for hosting and judging. I loved this week!

Thanks all- seriously had the time of my life, kinda sad it is over...
I guess I will keep posting bird songs into the void- I invite you all to do so if you feel the need ;)

Way back in season 27 I did this one- still a fave. Only one I can pick out like this-

Hi, John.

As I said on the YouTube page, I was talking to Michael Smith this evening at a concert he and Anne Hills did, and told him that one of the UU members had done this song, and had Done it well - he said to say "Thank You!" I apologize for not remembering your name during the conversation.

-Kurt​

This brings me to my video. I tried to shoot it with me in front of the picture window with our assortment of feeder birds behind me. The back lighting of sunlight on the snow made me black. Those videos were deleted. I redid it with me in front of the fireplace. The only birds in the shot are the flamingoes on my shirt.

This is a song by Michael P Smith, We Become Birds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sKfMzqtf6Y&feature=youtu.be

my bird arrived today!!!
a barn owl! the photo is amazing!
my youngest, baxter, said,"this is the best prize you have ever received for playing your ukulele!"...
and you know, he's right! thanks TCK!

Glad you like her Dave! She certainly is pretty special ;)
Tell Baxter I will let her know she is appreciated

<digression> Side note: Why is it that you lot say Barkley when we say Berkley for the same spelling. I noticed it studying Bishop Berkley in Philosophy 101 and have always wondered since then. It must be specific to the name, yes? I mean you don't say Harshey Bar, right? I know there are inconsistancies aplenty in our way of doing business over here but, I sincerely wonder, is there an answer to this? </digression>.
It's because our (British) accents have moved on. Back in the 17th Century, Brits would have pronounced Berkeley and Derby as Americans pronounce them today.

Modern American accents and usage have been much influenced by German, Yiddish and Dutch, of course (<digression> which is why Americans write people, whereas Brits write to them - cf, German Ich schreibe ihm vs Ich schreibe zu ihn - English had lost the dative/accusative distinction even by Tudor times & so for centuries has relied on prepositions to do the work that inflections do in German - English is a deflected, rather than inflected language - but C19th German/Jewish immigrants to the US simply transposed ich schreibe ihm onto 'I write him' rather than translate it into 'I write to him'</digression>), but in as a general principle, colonial accents are much more conservative than metropolitan ones (forgive the solecism, that's how linguists refer to non-English English accents). Shakespeare rhymed 'wind' as in breeze, with 'wind' as in turn, i.e, with 'wined'. We don't any more, but New Zealanders of my acquaintance continue to do so.

So, why not Harshey? Well, generally, changes in a language's pronunciation come from the top down, via emulation of 'prestige accents'. Philip II of Spain had a lisp, which is why modern Castilian Spanish has too. Louis XiV couldn't roll his 'r's in the front of his mouth, which is why modern French rolls its 'r's at the back of the throat.

The English Lords Berkely and Derby and their chums started affecting a drawl (the so-called Mayfair drawl) back in the days of Beau Brummell and the dandies. So Berkeley & Derby became Bahkley & Dahby. The 'conservative' American accent simply preserves the original pronunciation. As best I know, there was no Lord Hershey, and that's why Hershey never became Harsh.

This 'prestige' accent among the late C18th English aristocracy exaggerated a pre-existing tendency in the English English accent toward becoming more and more non-rhotic ('r' silent after a vowel), whereas American accents tend, along with Scots and Irish accents, to favour the pronunciation of the post-vocalic 'r' (rhotic pronunciation). You say 'carr', I say 'cah'. You say 'Berkshire', I say 'Bahkshire'.

The only time an English English-speaker pronounces 'Berk' to rhyme with 'jerk' is in the context of Cockney rhyming slang: 'Berk' is short for 'Berkshire Hunt'. These days, calling someone a 'Berk' is a rather mild insult (& certainly milder than calling them a 'jerk'), but that's only because neither insulter nor insultee aren't generally aware of how bad the insult actually is.

HTH - Better late than never! :)

p.s., just noticed DWitt's post on David Hume/Home. The last British Prime Minister to come from the House of Lords was a Scottish peer, the 13th Earl of Home, pronounced 'Hume' (better known to history as Sir Alec Douglas-Home, as he resigned his peerage in order to lead his administration from the House of Commons).

Last edited:
Top Bottom