Acacia and "cutaway" -- how do they affect the sound?

Mivo

Reaction score
UAS is sneaking up on me a little. I had ordered a Kala Tenor model from a local vendor before I realized that I would prefer something with a massive body (vs. a laminated one). I was able to cancel the order. I also learned of the importance of a proper setup.

There are precious few vendors in Germany who will setup the instrument, so my choices are a bit limited (ordering overseas is an option, but the shipping and custom costs are not overly sexy). The model that I'm currently considering is this one:

ukuMele Akazie Tenor Cutaway

I'm curious about two things, though:

a) What does acacia sound like? Is it noticeably different from mahogany? (I quite like the sound of it.)

b) How does the cutaway shape of the body affect the sound? Is it pretty much only cosmetic or are there tangible pros and cons?

Finally, if you have any comments about the instrument, please don't hesitate to share. :) The description is in German, and though it's probably all obvious, here's the summary: the body is massively acacia, neck is mahogany and rosewood, bridge is also rosewood, 18 frets, Worth Brown low G strings, shiny/polished top. The bag isn't included in the price (adds ca. €30), but shipping and setting up are. €269 equals about $350.

Does it sound like an acceptable deal?

It looks like a nice instrument. Acacia is the same species of wood as Koa and Koa is the number 1 wood for ukulele's. Compared to Mahogany its a little brighter in sound. The cutaway will effect the sound. Again I think it makes an instrument sound brighter than if it was full body.

So, It will be a brighter sounding instrument than a full body Mahogany ukulele but then again it depends on what sound you want. Personally I like the rich sound of full body Mahogany ukulele's yet a cutaway Acacia ukulele will sound like a traditional ukulele does.

Anthony

Acacia is the same species of wood as Koa and Koa is the number 1 wood for ukulele's.

I thought I should point out (as a botanist in forestry) that koa is only a type of acacia. There are over 1000 species of acacia, most from Australia, and quite a few of them are used for timber to make furniture and for woodworking, etc. But I don't know whether there are ukuleles made with other species of acacia (are there any luthiers online here?).

So while I'm not saying your instrument is not Hawaiian koa wood, I would make sure to ask them if it is definitely koa and not just 'acacia'.

Last edited:
Yes my bad. I know Koa is a type of Acacia but I didn't make it clear. The ukulele in question is sold as Acacia. No claim that its Koa.

EDIT: and yes, Acacia is a common instrument timber as is Australian Blackwood.

Anthony

Just to add some insight for the US readers: AFAIK these ukes come from the Koa Pili Koko production lines in China. Actually my KPK concert is one of these instruments (first series was still labelled KPK, but sold as ukuMele). Came with Martin M600 and sounds simply "happy" (besides the great looks of the acacia grain)

@Mivo, have you had a look at the german Ukulelenclub Forum? The owner of ukuMele is an active member there....

Thanks for the information, everyone, appreciate the responses. :)

@Mivo, have you had a look at the german Ukulelenclub Forum? The owner of ukuMele is an active member there....

Yep! It is somewhat quiet there, but that was where I learned about ukuMele and that Guido sets up the instruments. :)

I bought the one I had linked to (apparently it was the last instrument since they show as out of stock now) and I look very much forward to getting it -- hopefully by next week!

IRT your original post, I had a solid body mahogany for a week and traded it for a solid acacia. An Islander to a Pono. The Pono came with 2 wound (lower G tuning) and is a real vibrator. This 42-year guitar player much preferred the acacia, but too many other variables to consider to make an accurate assessment on the wood. Mahogany is probably the perfect wood for a stringed instrument and you can't go wrong picking it...literally, picking it.

Top Bottom