Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How many here have started with a Makala Dolphin or own one?

Manalishi Guest

Not my first,but my second,its a Red Burst
    Dolphin and is my 'go anywhere' uke!

Not my first, nor my second, but I have a black one, from Uke Republic!
    Bay View, WI

Started with one, stille have one.
    A poll would be nice with this thread.

My first and thus far only 'uke, metallic blue, and her name is Fifi Bonne-Soirée. I learned to play on this 'uke, and we've travelled all over. Here we are in Miami in January:

photo 26.jpg

I dd not buy her from you, Mike, but I wish I had! I think I lucked out but a good set-up would have been much better. I'm working toward getting a higher quality in the next few months, but I enjoy my Bluekulele!

I own 3 dolphin ukes (2 for vendor booth demos and teaching), and one for autographs. I have given as gifts 9 dolphins. They weren't my first ukes, but they serve a good purpose.

–Lori

Purple, Red, Yellow, and my first:

My Soprano Empire:
    VINTAGE MARTINS: c.'48 Martin 0
    OTHER VINTAGE: c30s Blue Favilla, c50 TV Pal, 30s Redhead
    MODERN MARTINS: OXK; 2012 2M
    KAMAKA: 2010 Pineapple (RIP MGM)

My Baritone Empire:
    '12 Kala KA-B, '69 Silvertone, c.'53-57 Favilla, c.'63 Martin, '11 Kamaka

STRUMTESTS//ADD to The STRING DATABASE and UKE CASE DATABASE // Take the NAME THAT MARTIN test.

dhoenisch Guest

I read about all the hype on these ukes on this site, so when I saw a discounted blem at SamAsh on the cheap, I picked it up. I got it home, performed a full set-up and new strings, and any time I picked it up to play it, I kept thinking... "I don't get it." I have never liked the sound of it. I played other floor models in case I got a dud, but I haven't found a one I liked yet.

I eventually had to get it out of my house and gave the dolphin to my niece who loves it, so no loss on that one.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Uke Republic View Post
    We see a lot go out our doors. For some I know it's their first ukulele and for others it;s another addition to the pod.
    I have one that I bought for my son but mostly it was for me as a travel uke. i really like it and very often by pass my more expensive Islander to play the Dolphin as I love the sound it makes with the Martin 600 strings, so bright and happy. It is the uke I'll take to the beach with me in May.

I have a black one, and it is my first. Got from highly strung in the uk. It sounds great, I do want to get a concert soon when I get better. Makala should do a concert dolphin.

Quote Originally Posted by dhoenisch View Post
    I read about all the hype on these ukes on this site, so when I saw a discounted blem at SamAsh on the cheap, I picked it up. I got it home, performed a full set-up and new strings, and any time I picked it up to play it, I kept thinking... "I don't get it." I have never liked the sound of it. I played other floor models in case I got a dud, but I haven't found a one I liked yet.

I eventually had to get it out of my house and gave the dolphin to my niece who loves it, so no loss on that one.
    Dolphins are cheap, and generally playable. And they're fun with the dolphin bridge and all the color options. IMHO they don't do well side by side soundwise against ukes that cost 2x or more. The sound of the plastic dolphin I have is pretty dead. It *does* have a rounded fretboard some people may like (I personally prefer flat).

I guess a dolphin is a "bare minimum standard" anyone can play. I wouldn't mind a pink or baby blue burst to go with my yellow burst.
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

Thread Information