Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many here have started with a Makala Dolphin or own one?

Quote Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
    Don't have one, never had.
    +1 on that.

I started on a black doplphin. My wife fell over and landed on it. I still haven't fixed it.

I bought a sunburst blue one as a replacemtn travel uke. It's intonation is not as good as the first. I have loaned it to a friend who now has it as his first uke

I owned one for a while, but it wasn't my first. It was a good beater uke, and once I set it up decently it even sounded good! It's on indefinite loan to my cousin. Wouldn't mind another one, though!

I have a chocolate Dolphin from Uke Republic. It goes in the car if I think I'm going to get stuck somewhere. My 1st one though was the Lanikai I bought for my daughter when she first had her kids. She gave it back to me to keep until they got old enough to have it around. Then my wife found an Airline "Victory" birch uke with a plastic fretboard for $5.00 at the Goodwill store (about what they cost new in 1952). In almost new condition and looked like original strings. It's red so I put red Aurora strings on it but it's mostly a wall hanger unless one of y'all can recommend some strings that might give this birch plywood some life. Volume and tone are pretty thin.
    The oldest grand kid is 8 now and I taught her some chords when she was here last month so I'll be giving up the Lanikai and Dolphin soon. I'll be looking for a uke that can stand the desert air up here around Denver. Current humidity inside is 21%.

I just got a candy apple red one in January. It's my travel/throw in the car when I'll have a few extra minutes uke now, and it's already traveled with me from CT to Texas for a conference, where it worked wonders at reducing my pre-presentation anxiety. I still prefer my zebrawood tenor, but the dolphin is now in #2 territory.

I have a shiny black dolphin strung with Aquila's. I got it from Uke Republic around January of this year. Set-up was great, and delivery was timely.

To me, who has ~6 months of playing, it looks and sounds GREAT. I switch off with my entry-level Makala concert.

I have a Mainland Gecko. I wanted an ukulele that I could play at the beach or leave in the car and/or not cry if something happened to it. It now lives in my desk drawer at work. It was not my first ukulele...
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

I have a few dolphins but they were not my first and actually I inherited them all from students. LOL! But they all came from UR.

I started with a Red Dolphin and thought it was fun, but never really appreciated it until one of my grand-daughters made a video of me playing it. When I saw the video I was amazed at the sound of the thing! Since then, I've bought several more and given a few away. I've found they look good in every color, and they're all cute and fun to play. However, each one sounds and plays slightly different, and some are better than others, especially when it comes to intonation. A good setup is essential for them.

Here are my top three Dolphins, all purchased from Uke Republic and set up just for me:

The Red Burst sounds clear and bright, with excellent intonation. The Blue Metallic sounds more mellow, also with good intonation. Intonation isn't as good on the Yellow one, but it's hella loud. I hear MGM does a great setup on Dolphins, but I think it's hard to beat Uke Republic when it comes to Dolphin ukes. Thanks Mike! (Thanks to all you Mikes that is)
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

I had one to play at school/loan to students. I played it at school; I loaned it to a student; she sat on it.

It's neck awaits a new life on an upcoming Frankenuke build.

Thread Information