How many here have started with a Makala Dolphin or own one?

We see a lot go out our doors. For some I know it's their first ukulele and for others it;s another addition to the pod.

It's my "take everywhere with me uke" Last summer I took her to Key West.
528114_10151022702126170_802558665_n.jpg
Next month, I'm taking her to Manila!
Mina :eek:

I read about all the hype on these ukes on this site, so when I saw a discounted blem at SamAsh on the cheap, I picked it up. I got it home, performed a full set-up and new strings, and any time I picked it up to play it, I kept thinking... "I don't get it." I have never liked the sound of it. I played other floor models in case I got a dud, but I haven't found a one I liked yet.

I eventually had to get it out of my house and gave the dolphin to my niece who loves it, so no loss on that one.

Dan

Too bad you did not buy one set up by MGM. Mike knew how to make those things hum. Action lowered, frets filed--I'm telling you, those pink and purple dolphins I own sing.

It was my second ukulele. My first ukulele was a Mahalo, whose action was way too high. Within 2 weeks I had my first Dolphin, bought from MGM and set up by him. :) Since then I've added three more Dolphins to my ukulele family! My first one is one of the earlier models--all laminate wood. It's a Pearl White. The next two I got are the "burst" colours (pink burst, green burst) and have plastic sides and back with a laminate wood top. The last one I got is a blue metallic sparkle one; and for some reason it feels heavier than the others and has a deeper tone. I wonder what's different?

CountryMouse

in denver pretty much anything laminate is safe. We're not desert, just high prairie. i have a dolphin that's just fine. fluke as well. At guitar center they just leave out the lanakai laminates and they do just fine.

How about a Flea or a Fluke? With the plastic fretboard, that is.

CountryMouse

I second the motion - flea works great in the high desert (salt lake city) But don't let that stop you - I humidified my whole house when I got my solid wood ukes and I'm finding that I don't have as dry a skin, and my daughter doesn't get nosebleeds anymore

How about a Flea or a Fluke? With the plastic fretboard, that is.

CountryMouse

I am not enamored with the flea/Fluke shapes or paint schemes but I am impressed by the tone of yours in your 2010 review on YouTube. Very nice; I'll make a point of trying them out if I ever find one.

Doug

I am not enamored with the flea/Fluke shapes or paint schemes but I am impressed by the tone of yours in your 2010 review on YouTube. Very nice; I'll make a point of trying them out if I ever find one.

Doug

I'm sure music stores have them in stock. Try one before buying. Which review? I have two Flukes and two Fleas. :)

CountryMouse

We have two Dolphins in our household. One is my daughter's black sparkle ordered off Amazon. We really lucked out with that one; it has good intonation, decent volume, and sweet voice. The other is a red burst I purchased at a local shop, so I could take a uke to the beach or leave it in the car. It was the best sounding of the bunch, but it can't touch the black one. It's more muted and sounds plasticy. While Dolphins are not my first choice of instruments to go to when I want to play, they are lot's of fun.

Two in our household. I started with a green dolphin which I gave to my grandson and missed it so much i bought another one. My dolphin was purchased and set up by highly strung and I have fitted living water strings.

We have four in my house, one for each person in the family. We also lend the out to friends wanting to give uke a try. I am planning to bring my to work in a few weeks.

I'm sure music stores have them in stock. Try one before buying. Which review? I have two Flukes and two Fleas. :)

CountryMouse

The review I referred to had you playing a Fluke covered in hybiscus flowers.

Denver Folklore Center carries Flukes and I've been meaning to go over there for about 4 years now but it's 40 miles on the opposite side of town. I need a real motivator to make the trek such as having no ukes to play other than this Airline on the wall.StrongBademail.JPG

The review I referred to had you playing a Fluke covered in hybiscus flowers.

Denver Folklore Center carries Flukes and I've been meaning to go over there for about 4 years now but it's 40 miles on the opposite side of town. I need a real motivator to make the trek such as having no ukes to play other than this Airline on the wall.View attachment 50006

Ah, okay. That's my Island Design Fluke that was special made for me. I wanted that design but it wasn't being made anymore. Flea Market Music found a "second" top of that design in their factory and made a uke with it for me. I had my choice of wood for the neck. The blemishes on the top are hardly noticeable, as I said in the video.

I think the strings I had on it at the time were Hilo Black Nylon. At present I have Ko'olau Mahana strings on it. I still haven't found the exact strings I want. But that's the fun, too, trying new things. :)

CountryMouse

Top Bottom