Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: String recommendation for warm, soft DGBE Baritone strings

Default String recommendation for warm, soft DGBE Baritone strings

I am about to jump into the baritone world, and I want to string it like the last 4 strings of a guitar DGBE. However, I want all the strings the same synthetic material - no wounds.

My apologies - I know there are lots of string threads, and I have read much of it, but it wasn't clear to me. Could someone recommend
    a warm, soft DGBE Baritone set that is all synthetic with no wounds?

Thank you.

I'm looking forward to the impressions of others. I'm a fan of the baritone tuned in DGBE.

I've tried many over the past two years--Aquila, Worth brown, Worth Clear, Living Water, and others but the 4th string is always muddy sounding or sloppy feeling. I have ended up with Worth clear 1st, 2nd, adn 3rd with a wound 4th guitar string as my favorite for my style of playing.
    Life is made of chords, not just single notes.

If U are sure U don't want any wounds, in my experience Worth browns are the best ya can get for warm & soft. However, for my playing style, i find that i too need the wounds, which has meant switching to Martins. Good luck!

Of those I have tried, Worth Browns all fluorcarbon strings sounded best but the tension seemed low. I prefer the high D version in the Southcoast set. Not as low a tone as a low D, but still nice.

Martin 630 or Alohi strings...

Living Water Strings - fantastic for low D

Molten Chocolate on my Pono

Hippie Dribble Guest

try a standard set of aquilas and replace the low D with a wound Jim Dunlop classical guitar string. I agree with jackwhale, that's usually the one that needs taming and tweaking

I suggest you read Southcoast bulletin #4 on baritone tunings,http://www.southcoastukes.com/004.htm. It's really a good read on certain tunings and why. I found most linear G tuning from my baris that were non-wound, too soft and not enough umm ummph to the sound. The only linear G strings I've found that do that so far are the Martin 630's. Not a big fan of them but for the Favilla bari, the only ones that gave it the sound it needed.

On my Martin, I have Southcoast with a linear Bb tuning. It was the one most jazz players used due to most brass instruments are tuned to a Bb. I'm waiting for a set of Cuatro C strings to try next on the Martin.

I haven't really found non-wound strings I'm happy with in linear DGBE (for reentrant I use Seaguar fishing leaders for all for strings and they're great).

What I've found that I like is a couple of seaguar leaders on the trebles and Thomastik-Infeld flat-wound chromium steel classical guitar strings on the basses (the .035 on the D and the .030 on the G). These strings are not as noisy as most wound strings, so fast pattern picking doesn't sound like a scratch-fest.

Note, if you are picking you can also use three seaguar leaders and only use the Thomastic-Infeld guitar string on the D - but if you're strumming you'll be happier with two wound strings. You have to adjust your attack slightly to make the non-wound third string transition smoothly to the wound fourth string - it's less of an issue between a non-wound second and a wound third. I found that after running scales back and forth through the transition I was able to make it sound smooth when pattern picking but not so easy to do when strumming.

Edit to add: re Martin 630 strings - Just goes to show how tastes differ. I tried a set of those on my Mainland and couldn't get them off fast enough. So I tried them on the Pono and couldn't get them off fast enough. I found them to be very squeaky with poor wound to unwound balance.

John
    Last edited by OldePhart; 03-06-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

I have Southcoast strings for re-entrant dGBE. No wound. I like them. Going to try Bb next in search of the Holy Grail of baritone tuning--haha!
    My Soprano Empire:
    VINTAGE MARTINS: c.'48 Martin 0
    OTHER VINTAGE: c30s Blue Favilla, c50 TV Pal, 30s Redhead
    MODERN MARTINS: OXK; 2012 2M
    KAMAKA: 2010 Pineapple (RIP MGM)

My Baritone Empire:
    '12 Kala KA-B, '69 Silvertone, c.'53-57 Favilla, c.'63 Martin, '11 Kamaka

STRUMTESTS//ADD to The STRING DATABASE and UKE CASE DATABASE // Take the NAME THAT MARTIN test.

Thread Information