Vintage Banjo Uke question

Frets

Reaction score
I'm considering the purchase of a 1924 Gibson UB in very good shape. Is the 9 inch head a disadvantage? I can get it for $600. Any input is welcome. Thanks, Frets in Belfast, Maine USA

I have no experience with Gibson banjo ukes, but I am a banjo player. I would think, and have heard with my own ears, that the larger the skin surface, the less plunky and more banjo-like the sound is going to be. Having a 9" head, is that a tenor banjo uke? I've only ever seen their 6" head sopranos.

Dan

I have no experience with Gibson banjo ukes, but I am a banjo player. I would think, and have heard with my own ears, that the larger the skin surface, the less plunky and more banjo-like the sound is going to be. Having a 9" head, is that a tenor banjo uke? I've only ever seen their 6" head sopranos.

Dan

It's the first attempt Gibson tried for the Banjo Uke. It's a shorter scale than a tenor, I think. After the UB they brought in a 6" and then an 8".

John Bianchi seems to know a lot about that stuff. I would not get one with a nine inch pot if its for a uke ... but then I wouldnt play a wooden uke over concert size either. the one you are talking about i believe is the trap door model and has a fret board that extends over the skin ... it is a uke neck/scale. still. i would hold out for ub1 or ub2 at least.

Hi Frets:

Is it a trap door model?

Howard

It does make sense. You might be able to find a UB-2 for around that price. A UB-1 would be even less. From what I understand, the latter models are preferred.

H

Thanks everyone for the responses. I've decided to get it 9inch head notwithstanding!

Top Bottom