'Sows Ear' into a 'Silk Purse'? Mahalo Makeover Thread

ChaosToo

Reaction score
OK - so my first Uke was a lovely Christmas gift from my wife - but with a couple more now in the house to play, I now get the chance to indulge in my love of 'tinkering'!

I hope the real luthiers will forgive me - but I thought I'd share my attempts with you all.

Silk Purse out of a Sow's Ear? Or just a slightly more shiny Sow's Ear? Who knows - but here goes!

How the uke looked 'out of the box'

IMG_0163.jpg

And here's what we have today!

P1040098.jpg

P1040099.jpg

Headstock label removed

P1040095.jpg

Holes left after cheap and nasty electronics removed!

P1040097.jpg

P1040096.jpg

Cheap saddle and nut to be replaced by cheap bone nut and saddle sourced from China! (Don't worry - I now know that nut slots should be cut with 'slightly' more precision than those you see on the left of this piccy! :rolleyes:)

P1040094.jpg

What fun. What type of pickup are you installing?

Good luck and don't forget the whammy bar!

Just to give an example of my 'tinkering' - here's something completely different!

From this :

exterior1.JPG rear110.JPG

To this :

ext21.JPG final13.JPG

:shaka:

What fun. What type of pickup are you installing?

Good luck and don't forget the whammy bar!

I toyed with the idea of fitting another pickup, but now I have my electro/acoustic tenor, I'll probably not bother......if I do, it'll be a double piezo mounted under the bridge, rather than the braid type under the saddle.

But no whammy bar.... :D

Looks like you're having fun... cool. Is there a "before" sound sample we might be able to hear alongside an "after" sample when it's all said and done?

Looks like you're having fun... cool. Is there a "before" sound sample we might be able to hear alongside an "after" sample when it's all said and done?

Sorry - no sound samples. I will only be adding a bit of veneer to the sides which shouldn't change the sound much. It's a laminate Mahalo after all - and whilst its a nice little Uke as a starter, I don't think anything will make it sound 'better'.

But it will hopefully look nicer! :D

Fair enough. I was more thinking about the pickup. I started on a Mahalo as well. Didn't have the heart to tinker with it, though. I think we all like to believe we got the magical "1 out of 5".... Until you play another one, that is. Ha ha. Have fun.

OK, so I've now sourced the veneer - it's a nicely figured piece of 0.6mm Sycamore which will certainly be enough for the sides and then some! I plan on re-facing the front of the headstock too, and the chap I've bought it from is including a piece of Walnut for me to make a headstock inlay out of.

There should also be enough left over to think about making a matched covering for the back of the uke, although I'm a little worried that increasing the thickness of the back too much might negatively affect the sound?

What I plan to do is reduce the thickness of the back by at least one layer of veneer (it's obviously a laminate), so that should negate that a fair bit - although I'd be very grateful for some expert input on that front.

I've also been looking at replacing the bridge and saddle whilst I'm at it.....

I'm going to go for the 'Leader' gold friction pegs with amber buttons in keeping with the 'gold and brown' overall colour theme.

Anyway - pics to follow once all the stuff arrives......

In between night shifts, I've managed to do a bit of rough prep :

P1040103.jpg

P1040101.jpg

P1040102.jpg

There's some rub through on the back, but the sides and back are going to be refaced anyway, so I'll probably take the back down even thinner (through the top layer of veneer) so I don't add too much to the overall thickness.

I think I'll also remove the bridge and replace it with something a little nicer.

I've gently re-profiled the headstock and smoothed down the neck. The back of the headstock has the holes from the nasty open geared tuners, and as I plan on fitting friction tuners, I'll be re-facing both sides of the headstock.

P1040104.jpg

P1040106.jpg

P1040105.jpg

And my wood arrived today! There's a big piece of Sycamore (32"x10"), a nice piece of what looks like Mahgoany (12"x12") (that I wasn't expecting) and a lovely bit of burr Walnut (10"x6"). It's all 0.6mm thick so some of it'll need a touch of thinning down to make it a bit more plyable for the sides and to not impact on the overall thickness too much.

P1040110.jpg

P1040109.jpg

P1040108.jpg

The plan is to re-face the back and sides of the Uke and the headstock in the Sycamore with a Walnut inlay on the headstock ..... but the Mahogany might find it's way into the mix somehow (or I might save it for another one!)

Having spent a couple of days making my garage into a tiny workshop, I've finally got round to doing some more on the uke.

P1040115.jpg

I made a mould! For a first attempt, it has the potential to be useable! The idea is to use it when I glue the side veneer on - held in place by a couple of sash clamps - although I might need to double it up in thickness......

P1040116.jpg

With the back piece between the pieces of glass to flatten it perfectly, I've started to mould the side piece into shape. I've done it 'dry' and I'll leave it a few days to see if it holds it's shape.....

So this proving a lot trickier than I thought! After numerous 'dry runs' to find a way of securely clamping the veneer onto the sides, I've come to the conclusion that without a bespoke jig, the best way to do it is in sections.

So I've tacked the veneer to the end of the uke for now and will be working my way around, glueing a section at a time.

It all looks a bit 'pikey', but it should come out OK.

P1040121.jpg

P1040120.jpg

By the way - the tape around the waste is just 'low tac' masking tape - I haven't gone totally ghetto and used sellotape! :D

Last edited:
Been doing a fair bit over the past few days - some of it good, some of it not so good. If nothing else, it's been a learning curve .....

Inlaying is going OK - but the burr walnut tends to shatter into tiny pieces when cut, so I'm having to piece it together bit by (very tiny) bit! The headstock has been veneered in the matching Sycamore veneer.The design is a Capricorn glyph, which I also have on the nose of my surfboard and as a tattoo

The sides are 'on' but are far from perfect - sadly a few ripples appeared that I don't think will flatten out - but as I say, it's a learning curve....

Attachments

• P1040125.jpg
    P1040125.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 70
  • P1040123.jpg
    P1040123.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
OK - if extreme 'improvisation' offends - I might suggest looking away now!

Not wishing to break out the router, and having nothing else suitable, I decided to make a little device to cut out the rebate for the binding - and here's what I came up with!

P1040129.jpg

The more observant of you might be able to see that it's nothing more than a few coffee stirrers glued together, with single-edge razor blade screwed on!

My index finger is sore after having used it - but this is what I ended up with!

P1040130.jpg

To be honest - I'm pretty flipping impressed with how it came out - actually far better than I thought it would!

And I got round to inlaying the rest of the headstock design - unlike the rebate, I'm not that happy with the result, but all done by hand and with a bit of careful filling, it might end up looking OK - at least when you don't look this close!

P1040132.jpg

So - it's getting there! Seeing as the rebate for the top binding went so well - I did a bit more! And fitted in the burr walnut binding ......

P1040137.jpg

P1040135.jpg

There are a couple of bits need tidying up, but it's now pretty much ready for the final finishing!

P1040140.jpg

P1040141.jpg

P1040138.jpg

This is so much fun to watch, thanks for posting! Are you going to replace the bridge?

Thanks for the kind words! I think I might leave the bridge this time - although I tend to be impulsive, so once I get a bit of free time again, I might just order a new bridge along with the new tuning pegs ... :D

Top Bottom