Maunaloa Slack Key on`Ukulele

Aaron, you fo'got to include da link . . . I hope dis is da one

Last edited:
Watching him play slack key is one thing, watching him on da uke - freakin unreal. Mahaloz fo dat one! BTW, is dat one of your builds?

Thanks for that link.

Yes, that one of mine, and of all things, the first cutaway (actually, a compound cutaway).

-Aaron

Unreal! Do you have any pictures of that uke? I was trying to make out the details on the fret board inlays... she looks like a real beauty!

I got some on photobucket:
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/kekani427/
IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0047-1.jpg

If you don't understand what the inlays mean, that's okay. The intent of the inlays were for Led, and no one else - his family understands what they mean/represent. . .

-Aaron

Last edited:
that is an awesome uke.

Wow! That is amazing! Is the Gretch inlay is MOP also? Alot of detail on it and the Led portrait. Truely, a work of art...

Is the Gretch inlay is MOP also? Alot of detail on it and the Led portrait.

Actually, its not a Gretsch, it a Contessa - White MOP, Black MOP, Cocobolo, Ebony and Maple. Led's portrait is mostly Black MOP, Gold MOP, Paua Abalone, Ebony and Blue Lapis recon stone. Both are engraved for detail. Signature is White MOP (that was hard to do).

Thanks for asking, and for the comments. I only hope it matches Led's playing - he seems to have fun with it and doesn't let anyone touch it, anymore.

Anyone notice the Gold fretwire?

-Aaron

Is it real gold?!? How does that hold up with the wound low g string? I would think gold would be too soft. That is too cool...

No, its not real gold, but, its not an overlay either - the color goes all the way through. As for being too soft - its actually harder than the nickel/silver that is commonly used. In fact, its right in between the nickel/silver and stainless steel, which I'll use someday as well, given the right project.

Top Bottom