FS: Collings UT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sealcove

Reaction score
SOLD

For Sale: Collings UT1 Mahogany SN# 746. $850 Shipped to US (UPS or Fedex Ground)

I am the second owner, it originally came from the Music Emporium, and I think it is a 2011 (not positive about the year: please correct me if you know). Generally in excellent condition; no dings, scratches or noteworthy fret wear. Where your forearm contacts the top along the top edge of the uke, the finish is polished from contact, and there are some light finger/strum marks on the top (something you can see if you hold the top at an angle and nothing you can feel when running your fingers across the top). Humidified and no smoke exposure.

I purchased last spring as an avenue back to playing a little uke, but once again it has taken the back seat to my other instruments (guitar and mandolin), so I really only ever noodle on it once and a while. Seems silly to not have it played.

Link to Picasa page with UT1 Pictures. sealcove@gmail.com

DSCN1886.jpg

Last edited:
If I didn't already have 2 of these this would be mine.

Collings UT1

Hello,

It is a little hard to tell from the photo if it is koa or mahogany.
I think it is koa, am I correct?

If I just now didn't buy two mahogany baritones, this would be mine.

This is a mahogany instrument.

Oops sorry I should have mentioned wood: Mahogany.

I can't believe it's not sold yet. Someone that doesn't have one and has been wanting one should be jumping at this.

I was waiting for one, but we bought one just before this came up. It has a fantastic tone on a very thin soundboard—it's excellent for picking. Dirk at Southcoast recommended medium Southcoast strings, and the sound is great!

This is really a steal for someone looking for a superb all hog tenor.
I love mine.

I am actually lowering the price by $50. I conferred with a few friends on the condition; both thought it was excellent but there are two points of light playing wear (the same points I mentioned in the original post). Again, where the forearm touches the top edge when playing the finish is is polished (the photos show this). Also, there are some very light finger marks each side of the sound hole from strumming. These don't really show up well in pictures as you have to get the light just right. The last picture from my link catches them, but as you can see in the other photos they are not something that shows up in most light.

$850 puts it 20% below new and hopefully with shipping that makes it a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Great price. I would but I recently bought a Blackbird. Good luck.

Good luck with the sale, someone is going to get a heck of a deal. I would never consider selling mine for $850; if Collings follows Mya Moe and raises prices you may never see a Collings for $850 again. Faint strum marks or polished areas on the top should not concern anyone, the only way to avoid those on a satin finish is not to play the uke.

I heard from Steve at Acoustic Music Works that Collings is not going to be making ukes anymore once they finish their current dealer orders. Apparently they can't keep up with all the segments of their business so the uke business is ending until at least the end of 2014. Get 'em while they last!

Last edited:
I heard from Acoustic Vibes in Arizona—where we bought the last one—that Collings doesn't make enough of a profit on the UT-1 and so will not be making more. The sound of this uke, especially for picking, is amaaaazing!

Surprised this hasn't been snatched up already.

But then again, I've been saying/thinking that a lot lately. Maybe the market for ukes is softening somewhat?

Surprised this hasn't been snatched up already.

But then again, I've been saying/thinking that a lot lately. Maybe the market for ukes is softening somewhat?

Seriously? A uke fails to sell in less than 48 hours and we're predicting the demise of the uke market?

For being such a remarkable ukulele builder, and the demand they have created for their instruments with seemingly little consumer marketing, I find it puzzling that Collings would consider suspending their ukulele line - if that's even true.

It would be nice if we could hear directly from Collings on this forum. Can one of the UU leaders reach out to Collings and get them to post here?

As of Tuesday morning (3-12-13) the UT1 is on hold for a potential buyer from the underground. The communication on this offer to buy is a bit sparse thus far, so while not a done deal I feel I should wait until I can communicate directly with this individual. I will update the status by this evening when the buyer and I have a chance to talk and I know for sure if there is an agreement.

Last edited:
I heard from Acoustic Vibes in Arizona—where we bought the last one—that Collings doesn't make enough of a profit on the UT-1 and so will not be making more. The sound of this uke, especially for picking, is amaaaazing!

What's stopping Collings from raising their prices so they do make a profit? Nothing :eek:

Good luck with the sale Sealcove! This is seriously a great deal on a wonderful instrument.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom