Girl from Ipanema Kimo Hussey Tutorial

I do "Tears" with Sandor in Uke Ellington, and we do it in Cm. It's not too difficult. We do it as the second half of a medley with Duke Ellington's "The Mooche", also in Cm. Works great.

Played with him all day today in our sessions and kanikapila tonight. I just saw this and don't have a printer. I have some one on one time with him tomorrow afternoon so I will see if we can pull it up on my ipad if we have time.
Maybe I have him sign my ipad, LOL.

Jay, be like a sponge cuz this is an opportunity you might never get again.

It would be great if you print out my tabs and Kimo corrects it cuz I got a couple of off notes! Can he sign it too so I can have the corrected version? :drool:

Thanks Daniel! Extra sweet too because a few weeks ago a CS redwood milo came through exactly like the one Kimo's playing. I had to keep it. Don't think I've ever loved a uke so much.
Years ago when talking business with Kimo he said - don't even worry about money, just perpetuate the instrument and all that will take care of itself. He's had a profound influence on me and our business.
Gonna learn this now, his chord movements are amazing. thx again Dan

Andrew, did Kimo tell you the other advice about running a business? You gotta sell more than you buy! HAHAHA

It must be tough to resist cuz you get your hands on all the prime stuff.

Would love to hear your version, especially with the redwood / milo Ko'olau!

Thanks Daniel! Extra sweet too because a few weeks ago a CS redwood milo came through exactly like the one Kimo's playing. I had to keep it. Don't think I've ever loved a uke so much.
Years ago when talking business with Kimo he said - don't even worry about money, just perpetuate the instrument and all that will take care of itself. He's had a profound influence on me and our business.

Last edited:

I was wondering where that one went too...are you a Ko'olau collector now....haha
Kimo the best...

Andrew, did Kimo tell you the other advice about running a business? You gotta sell more than you buy! HAHAHA

bankers.... think they're so smart

Would love to hear your version, especially with the redwood / milo Ko'olau!

Ya, I have a pair of Schoeps coming in and A designs preamp. I will record my version when they get here. I might eventually sell my spruce top but this redwood/milo is fo life. Still want me an MB though.

How's your LFDM? What makes you grab the MB for a song like this? Sounds great by the way.

bankers.... think they're so smart

How's your LFDM? What makes you grab the MB for a song like this? Sounds great by the way.

Hey, keep it hush about being a banker? Almost as bad as being called a lawyer!! hahaha

My LFDM is back to Luis to get it refretted and adding some neck relief. I trust 100% that he'll make it right so can't wait. I can definitely express myself more with it.

What made me grab the MBU except for the fact that the LFDM was being made? It has such a mellow, cool sound like Astrud Gilberto. When I played "Ohhh, but he watches so sadly" with Chuck's uke, I knew that was the one to use. I just thought of something which is sad but true: An MBU is "The Girl From Ipanema" and the guy in the song is someone who's trying to get a MBU..."When she passes, I smile but she doesn't see" HAHAHA :p

How many mics and preamps do you need? You have the best sounding recordings of any ukulele websites in the world...I guess you want the best sounding website period!! That's why I like you Andrew, you always striving for excellence.

Last edited:
Schoeps CMC6's? Which capsules? Utterly fantastic mics; I love them used in an XY configuration.

Exactly, with the MK21 capsules. That was a hard decision but I don't think my room is good enough for omni. But I like some room so MK21. We gotta get more CR's to sample :D . Can't wait for this setup to come in. I probably wouldn't do XY for a solo performance though. Works great in an acoustic duo. What's your experience with that setup?

How many mics and preamps do you need?

Hehe, about as many ukes as I need. But you know how it is. So fun. Plus, as much as I spent for Corey's album to be made, figured I would do the next one myself. Sorry to stray D. I've been noodling with the song. I think I have ADD because I wander off mid song and never come back.

Hehe, about as many ukes as I need. But you know how it is. So fun. Plus, as much as I spent for Corey's album to be made, figured I would do the next one myself. Sorry to stray D. I've been noodling with the song. I think I have ADD because I wander off mid song and never come back.

Please discuss as much as you want about any topic as I need to learn about mics, etc. Also, I have a problem finishing songs too...there's a reason I play short snippets of songs instead of the whole thing!! HAHA

Top Bottom