What's happening in your shed?

Seems to be, I had just wiped the fretboard off with a damp cloth when I took this so there's still some moisture present. I sanded the excess last night and they all look fine now.
Thanks for checking.
Max

A couple from the group of instruments I'm working on right now. This is the second application of epoxy pore filler.

An ambrosia maple 8 string tenor with Sitka soundboard, and an Australian Blackwood tenor.

Pore Filler1.jpgPore Filler2.jpg

I am finishing kasha braced tenor (cedar top, local European alder sides, back and neck )View attachment 115349

and just started new project. It will be 5-string tenor, (walnut sides and back, spruce top, honduras mahogony neck)View attachment 115350

I have now finished the biscuit tin concert I have been working on. It cam out OK, although of course a tin is not really the best soundboard in the world. For that reason, I have braced the bridge against the through neck inside and put a piezo pickup in and the sound is OK. The break angle on the bridge is a bit shallow, so i may still dispense with the (lovely) brass tailpiece and have the strings pass through the tin behind the bridge and anchor inside. But all in all it is OK.

Max

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

A cute little Tahitian style though I digressed from the round soudboard because I made the body purposely narrow to test treble responsiveness ideas and then I had the room and I felt like trying to experiment on a different shape. 345mm scale length 40 lb fishing line for all strings.
20190212_153313.jpg

Another perfect instrument, Allen. Somewhat depressing for the rest of us mere mortals.
Having moved to a bolt-on neck, do you use a threaded insert or a barrel bolt?
Miguel

You'd call it a barrel bolt I suppose. Its oriented from fret board to heel and is full lenght of the tenon. Drilled and tapped for a M6 bolt in a jig to guarantee alignment with the neck block that is also drilled in the same jig.

I have now finished the biscuit tin concert I have been working on. It cam out OK, although of course a tin is not really the best soundboard in the world. For that reason, I have braced the bridge against the through neck inside and put a piezo pickup in and the sound is OK. The break angle on the bridge is a bit shallow, so i may still dispense with the (lovely) brass tailpiece and have the strings pass through the tin behind the bridge and anchor inside. But all in all it is OK.

Max

View attachment 115355

View attachment 115356

View attachment 115357

View attachment 115358

Nice! I cheat and chop the necks off cheap ukes and do some tweaking to get the fit right. If I had a shop bench and some scrap hardwood I'd like to make my own neck.
Post up your final setup. On the last one I made the break wasn't quite right either and I couldn't tweak the neck bolts enough so I had to build another bridge(this one floats on a banjo uke). I always like to see other options.

Last edited:
My shop used to be next to a guitar store. I was just getting through the learning stages of making ukuleles when people starting showing up wanting bookcases, etc. So we made a lot of plywood boxes and set the ukuleles off to the side. One day a professional musician came in with plans and parts for an electric guitar. I let him do as much as he felt comfortable with and I handled the rest. Then early this year, he came back with ideas for a six-string bass. He did much of the work himself then composed a song to go along with the video.

Workshop

So, not so much what is going on in my shed, but building the shed itself. Moved house, needed a workshop. Just need to lay an electricity cable now.
IMG_20190220_143753774.jpg
IMG_20190220_143815822.jpg

Home from home! First pieces of equipment should be an electric kettle and a box of Taylors Yorkshire Gold tea bags. ;)

John Colter.

Another Tahitian from the stable of Titch the Clown ukuleles 20190311_121127.jpg

I was also wondering what wasin this chunk of firewood I bought a bag of a year or so ago and damn it looks nice. No idea what it is.20190221_093742.jpg

Another Tahitian from the stable of Titch the Clown ukuleles View attachment 116037

I was also wondering what wasin this chunk of firewood I bought a bag of a year or so ago and damn it looks nice. No idea what it is.View attachment 116038

Stacked wood for the body? Also, it looks kind of narrow, did you put in a pickup?
I've been meaning to ask, do you put pickups in any of your tins? If yes, what model/brand?

The body/neck slab is made with 90 by 35 construction grade pine (rather than 90by45= 2by4dar). I cut it so I get two L shaped bits side by side. Next time I might try a strip of hardwood down the middle. I keep knots away from the neck but I don't mind tight knots in the body. The Tahitian ukes are surprisingly loud and I have never fitted one with a pickup.
More generally, in keeping with the low budget home built charm of my ukes I use cheap disc piezo pickups I paid a couple of dollars each for on EBay when I do use them.

Top Bottom