Thread: A little "resawing"

Default A little "resawing"

Was out at the open house at Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford, Pennsylvania. Boy do they have wood. (The pickings through the 'cut-off' bins is pretty good, particularly for a ukulele builder. Koa for $2 a pound.) They saw a lot of wood from logs, with this little 67" bandsaw. The patent date on the cast iron is 1904. It used to saw timbers for the decks of battleships at the Philadelphia Pennsylvania Navy Yard. Boy does it go through wood. Care for a little black walnut? (By the way, black walnut when it is freshly sawn is pretty green in color. It takes a week or so to oxidize to the 'normal' purple/brown color.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lotta ukes in that slab
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

Double edge saw blade..Nice!
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Double edge saw blade..Nice!
    Yes, noticed that. One side with more TPF (I assume they measure in teeth per foot) than the other. Do they flip the blade or change direction of the feed?
    Fascinating
    Miguel

Nope, those are sliver teeth on the back of the blade. The actual cutting teeth are on the opposite side. When the log is run through the blade, it needs to be returned and reset for the next cut. Often times, a bit of bark or sliver of wood on the log can stick out and catch on the blade on return, throwing it off the band wheels. These teeth are there to cut through any obstructions on the back stroke of the log.

Quote Originally Posted by JJohansen View Post
    Nope, those are sliver teeth on the back of the blade. The actual cutting teeth are on the opposite side. When the log is run through the blade, it needs to be returned and reset for the next cut. Often times, a bit of bark or sliver of wood on the log can stick out and catch on the blade on return, throwing it off the band wheels. These teeth are there to cut through any obstructions on the back stroke of the log.
    Thats very interesting! I didnt know that!... And while I was browsing Youtube looking for more info: on double edged blades, I came up with this "Backtooth blade" designed for cutting curves....Maybe its ok for cutting out tops and backs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMiS1f4qOR4
    Last edited by Timbuck; 10-06-2019 at 04:43 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Thread Information