Page 231 of 236 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,310 of 2359

Thread: What's happening in your shed?

  1. #2301
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    1,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyturley View Post
    A local tonewood supplier just shipped me a few fretboard blanks cut from quartersawn Osage Orange. If I'm not mistaken, it's the hardest wood in North America, with a Janka rating of 2,620. I've been collecting locally grown and harvested woods to use in my next project, a Kasha baritone uke. Even the Red Spruce for the braces comes from right here in the mountains of my home state.

    I've been working with a bit of desert ironwood from Arizona, Janka hardness of 3260. I don't know whether that's the hardest or not. https://www.wood-database.com/desert-ironwood/

  2. #2302
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clara View Post
    I've been working with a bit of desert ironwood from Arizona, Janka hardness of 3260. I don't know whether that's the hardest or not. https://www.wood-database.com/desert-ironwood/
    Ah, wasn't aware of that one. I stand corrected.

  3. #2303
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    1,866

    Default Disc Sander

    Not an ukulele but...

    Just finished this 12 disc sander. I have a 9" disc/belt combo but I built this larger unit specifically to assist with my neck to body joints. Technically, I guess it isn't complete yet. Next is building the sliding table attachment. The motor is recycled from the drum sander I built in 2004 and the lumber was leftovers from a dining table I built during lockdown.

    IMG_0772.jpgIMG_0773.jpgIMG_0774.jpgIMG_0775.jpgIMG_0776.jpg
    --------------------------------------
    Dominator

    Dom & Friends on Facebook
    Dominator on Youtube
    --------------------------------------
    Practice Makes Practice Perfect

  4. #2304
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Nice setup, Dom.

    I had a productive morning in the shop with the table saw and thickness sander, making tone bars and cross-grain center strips from old growth Red Spruce. I also used the CNC mill to make a Kasha ukulele bridge from Osage Orange. I enjoy using hand tools when I can, but I cannot make parts like these with any sort of precision by hand.

    pieces 052231.jpgkasha bridge.jpg

  5. #2305
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    1,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyturley View Post
    Nice setup, Dom.

    I had a productive morning in the shop with the table saw and thickness sander, making tone bars and cross-grain center strips from old growth Red Spruce. I also used the CNC mill to make a Kasha ukulele bridge from Osage Orange. I enjoy using hand tools when I can, but I cannot make parts like these with any sort of precision by hand.

    pieces 052231.jpgkasha bridge.jpg
    Very Cool. I have given some thought to making a CNC machine but I think it is a bit too ambitious of a project for me. My old boss just got his up and running and has offered to make templates or whatever if I need him too.
    --------------------------------------
    Dominator

    Dom & Friends on Facebook
    Dominator on Youtube
    --------------------------------------
    Practice Makes Practice Perfect

  6. #2306
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator View Post
    Very Cool. I have given some thought to making a CNC machine but I think it is a bit too ambitious of a project for me. My old boss just got his up and running and has offered to make templates or whatever if I need him too.
    I bought one of those cheapie Amazon 3018 "Pro" units, hooked up to an old Windows XP laptop. It's good when all the dimensions come out right, but I've burned through a lot of scrap wood tweaking things so they were right. Still, since I just do this as a hobby, the extra time taken is no big deal. For someone actually earning $$ at building ukes, my setup would not be ideal.

  7. #2307
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Stockton on Tees..North East UK.
    Posts
    5,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator View Post
    Very Cool. I have given some thought to making a CNC machine but I think it is a bit too ambitious of a project for me.
    Come on Dom Im sure you can build one ..I built 5 from scratch... there are some good designs on the web of timber frame built ones and several aluminium kits on eBay ..I found the best electronics parts were from Hobby CNC https://hobbycnc.com/ The hardest part for me was learning how to operate them. this video of one is similar to one I built for my Son and he was using daily in his workshop for 7 years before he upgraded to an aluminium frame machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMcblAB_fe0 and another https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjdXpp77MdU
    Last edited by Timbuck; 05-23-2021 at 07:46 PM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

    If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

  8. #2308
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    1,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    Come on Dom Im sure you can build one ..I built 5 from scratch... there are some good designs on the web of timber frame built ones and several aluminium kits on eBay ..I found the best electronics parts were from Hobby CNC https://hobbycnc.com/ The hardest part for me was learning how to operate them. this video of one is similar to one I built for my Son and he was using daily in his workshop for 7 years before he upgraded to an aluminium frame machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMcblAB_fe0 and another https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjdXpp77MdU
    Ken, thanks for the vote of confidence and the links. I watched a bit of the build video and saved it to watch the rest a little later.
    --------------------------------------
    Dominator

    Dom & Friends on Facebook
    Dominator on Youtube
    --------------------------------------
    Practice Makes Practice Perfect

  9. #2309
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    8,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator View Post
    Not an ukulele but...

    Just finished this 12 disc sander. I have a 9" disc/belt combo but I built this larger unit specifically to assist with my neck to body joints. Technically, I guess it isn't complete yet. Next is building the sliding table attachment. The motor is recycled from the drum sander I built in 2004 and the lumber was leftovers from a dining table I built during lockdown.

    IMG_0772.jpgIMG_0773.jpgIMG_0774.jpgIMG_0775.jpgIMG_0776.jpg
    Very nice! I like that curved top. That's a nice-looking motor.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  10. #2310
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    1,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Very nice! I like that curved top. That's a nice-looking motor.
    Thanks! The motor is one of the older ones from Harbor Freight.

    The top was like making a huge kerf lining. A cut every 1/4 inches to within 3" or so of each end. Allowed it to bend fairly easily. I used ratchetting strap clamps to pull it closed but could have used an extra pair of hands for sure.
    --------------------------------------
    Dominator

    Dom & Friends on Facebook
    Dominator on Youtube
    --------------------------------------
    Practice Makes Practice Perfect

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •