What's happening in your shed?

Hello !

Some progress in my tiny worshop.

See, if a little free time, on the nearly daily pages of my blog.

Thank's.- Gerard - France.

12ZOkq43Hwpvb1CDs4z1rqBO8Tw.jpg

x57YOBRGpeODW28i_unaASKLI5c.jpg

aLl6pA7p_0wAZkCx8IjfpF0Mnrk.jpg

Gerard, your work is always so pristine - it's great to see your photos, thank you for sharing them!

Beautiful work, as usual! I enjoy reading your blog, and learn a lot from your methods of construction!

Bob

Progress on the ambrosia maple back and sides. KIMG1106.jpg

To try something different, but I've set out to build a dombra. I've made the fixtures to build a seven ribbed bowl-back design. I bought a very good book from a fellow in Kazakhstan which contains valuable information about the traditional Kazakh methods of dombra construction. But alas, no plans, or even templates to help me start. I made a false start, wtih ribs that would not close together, and a neck block that was much to small. My second attempt is going much better. I set up a laser plane to mark the line for the joint of the side ribs to the next ones. I think it's going to work this time. In the first picture you can see the line of the laser, which I marked and then cut. In the second picture, the cut sides with beveled edges are in the form, and snugged up to the now correct neck block. The neck block is integral to the neck, and the whole instrument minus the sound board is built on this form. There is a clear plastic template on top in the second picture. This is the template I made for the rest of the ribs and so far it looks like everything will fit up.

laser_luthiery

Dombra progress

Reminds me of the old Persian idea of discussing a plan twice, once drunk and once sober. That way you get twice the perspectives on how, or if, it will work. Some might say I tend to neglect the sober bit.

Sometimes the customer says I want what you just made. Sometimes I ask what they really want.
Sometimes nothing else matters.20210406_205258.jpg
20210406_205234.jpg

Recycled meranti body painted matt black.
Spotted gum fretboard and tassie oak neck stained with vinegar and steel wool. Next time I do a black body I will go the same way as the neck. Fret dots in kitchen leftover abalone. Cheap Chinese electrics and hardware.
Control panel and covers from an old polka LP. Logo is clients initials fed into online Metallica name logo generator cut and engraved in and back filled with a white timber filler.

Top Bottom