Page 227 of 235 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 2344

Thread: What's happening in your shed?

About a year ago I completed a 19 5/8” scale steel string baritone ukulele. I took the plans for a 1940 Gibson L00 and shrunk them to 75%, and used that to create a body mold. I was very pleased with how that project came out, and was playing that instrument yesterday evening. I will be using those same drawings and body mold to construct a baritone scale kiku.

I spent this morning thickness sanding the Black Walnut and Redwood for the body. Neck will be Honduran Mahogany. Fretboard and bridge will be Ebony. Bindings and trim will likely be Indian Rosewood, as I have a fair supply of scrap left from other projects. I’ll likely also be working on a long scale tenor uke from Black Cherry and Redwood at the same time. After completing my 23" scale 0 parlor guitar recently, I was going to take a break from building and work on other things, but I can't seem to stay out of the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've finished the solid body steel string tenor I posted an incomplete photo of a few weeks ago. This has shop made bridge, pickup, and control knobs. I'm really happy with how it turned out, it has a nice classy look and lots of versatility in terms of tone.

Attached Images Attached Images

Dwizum, that is just too cool. I love the wood pickup, and bridge you made. I was just thinking about making a bridge of that very design, for an electric lap steel I am planning to build someday.

My latest tenor uke is taking shape. Nothing special . . . I'm using leftovers and spares I had laying around the shop. A back from a quartersawn Maple board I wasn't using. Ash sides from an old pallet board. A leftover Bear Claw Sitka Spruce top. A pre-fab neck from MGB Guitars, which I had originally purchased with making a cigar box uke in mind, then abandoned that project. First and last time for using Ash on a uke. I had a lot of trouble getting it to hold its shape, even with pressing it in a body mold to cool after bending.

uke glued.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hoji View Post
    Dwizum, that is just too cool. I love the wood pickup, and bridge you made. I was just thinking about making a bridge of that very design, for an electric lap steel I am planning to build someday.
    Thanks! The bridge is easier than it looks. Especially in brass, which machines really well. I drilled the holes on a drill press and then did the shaping with files. It probably took an hour or an hour and a half start to finish. Simple and effective. I'm making another one for a baritone I have in progress right now.

A couple of hours or so today working on installing a Koa soundport ring in my tenor ukulele. The ring has been rough sanded at this point. I borrowed this method from Brian Griffin.

port1.jpgport2.jpgport3.jpgport4.jpgport5.jpg

I took the time yesterday to make some jigs to produce simple rosettes for some concert sized instruments. I like the look of the early Gibson rosettes and used that as a model. I glued up strips of walnut and maple into a block, then sawed the block into about 3mm thick slabs. I made a miter guide for a razor saw to cut consistent angle and width inlay pieces. Then I made a form from Delrin plastic in which to assemble and glue the pieces. The CA glue doesn't stick well to the Delrin, and it was no trouble separating the finished ring from the form. The form is made of multiple pieces to help getting things apart. The completed rings are 3.25mm wide and perfectly round. By varying cut angles and material colors I can make other designs too. Probably nothing here you haven't seen before, but I was just real happy with the way it all turned out.

concert_rosette
    Last edited by Tom Snape; 04-25-2021 at 07:53 AM.

Pre-bending a reverse lining strip by wetting it and clamping it to the outside of the tenor body for a few hours. I learned the idea from a Robert O'Brien "Luthier Tips" video.

pre-bending.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tonyturley View Post
    Pre-bending a reverse lining strip by wetting it and clamping it to the outside of the tenor body for a few hours. I learned the idea from a Robert O'Brien "Luthier Tips" video.

pre-bending.jpg
    I have been pre bending linings for years ..Video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igefP_h7Nh8
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    I have been pre bending linings for years ..Video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igefP_h7Nh8
    I've tried it that way, too.

Thread Information