What's happening in your shed?

Aloha Titch, sounds to me like you would be a perfect person to lead the next Fun Build. I have started a new solo Fun Build some days ago to finish what I started almost 10 years ago. When I am done, maybe we can get a new group of builders to send you the parts for the next build! Think about it Brah,
Mahalo
Brad

Insomnia had me down in the shop at 0330 this morning, sorting, cleaning, and preparing for construction. As difficult as it is, I decided to commit to another tandem build. It occurred to me that it would take me a long time to get to all the wood I have stockpiled if I work on one project at a time.

First image is the mold I'm making for another ukulele, a baritone with a tenor scale neck. Tonewoods will be Black Walnut with a sinker Western Red Cedar top. I got the idea from watching a Pepe Romero demonstration of one of his tenor-baritones.

Second image is the bundle of wood for a small body 23" scale steel string guitar. Tonewoods are old growth Honduran Mahogany for the back, sides, and neck, and old growth Red Spruce for the top. Both of those woods were harvested over 30 years ago, and the cool thing about the Spruce is that it was harvested right here in the eastern mountains of WV. I'm building this guitar for my own use, while the tenor-baritone may end up with someone else.

tenor baritone.jpgsmall guitar.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg
Bending tenor sides using a new form and a heat blanket. Worked well. Compression provided by modified caulking guns. I think it was one of my ideas but I may have borrowed it from someone on this forum. Feel free to copy.
Miguel

I spent the day cutting, thinning, and sanding parts for 3 different instruments: Black Walnut and sinker Western Red Cedar for a grand tenor; Redwood top for a baritone; old growth Red Spruce and old growth Honduran Mahogany for a 23" scale steel string guitar.

wagner.jpg
P2200017.jpg
P2200021.jpg

Currently applying finish/setting up several instruments (which I hate) so fitted in a little project to sweeten the pain -a cigar box uke.

Bought the box off Ebay for £8 incl postage. Made entirely of mahogany and nailed together. Knocked it apart, trued up everything and glued it back together. Joined on a Chinese tenor neck with concert scale fretboard to place bridge in a suitable position. Bottom thicknessed to 1.5 mm to become the soundboard with a cedar patch. Top has walnut binding.

Photo shows size compare with a soprano.

Pleased to say it's loud and sounds great.

cigar1.jpg
cigar3.jpg
cigar2.jpg

Last edited:
That's a very handsome cigar box uke, but just look at the dust on that poor soprano - tut-tut!:rolleyes:

John Colter

That's a very handsome cigar box uke, but just look at the dust on that poor soprano - tut-tut!:rolleyes:

John Colter

When you have 30 plus instruments in the house and in Winter some of the finishing takes place in the kitchen, then its inevitable that dust gets everywhere.

I remember as a child one of my sisters, then about 7 yrs old, whilst visiting friends mentioned the dust in the house. Her friend's mother immediately replied that busy people have no time for dusting. It's a phrase I often repeat! Same goes for my workshop: I either spent time tidying up (the tidiness is short lived) or I get on with making amid the mess. As we say, "It takes all sorts".

Glad you like the cigar box uke John-theres a couple more cigar boxes in the post.

Well I decided I needed an extension piece on my bending iron, so bought some aluminium bar, drilled and tapped a hole in the iron top( after carefully checking where the heating cartridges were). Drilled out the new bar and bought a suitable bolt. Cost about £5 and works a treat. Takes a little longer to heat up, but hey, I've got all day.
P1040848.jpg

I forgot to mention, I did this because I am about to start an F5 mandolin build as a new challenge. It has some tight bends around the scroll area.

Not sure why the image has been rotated!

Last edited:
Well I decided I needed an extension piece on my bending iron, so bought some aluminium bar, drilled and tapped a hole in the iron top( after carefully checking where the heating cartridges were). Drilled out the new bar and bought a suitable bolt. Cost about £5 and works a treat. Takes a little longer to heat up, but hey, I've got all day.
View attachment 125503

I forgot to mention, I did this because I am about to start an F5 mandolin build as a new challenge. It has some tight bends around the scroll area.

Not sure why the image has been rotated!
I have a propane torch that I use to heat up the bending, iron it reduces the waiting time for it to heat up..only takes a couple of minutes.

Currently applying finish/setting up several instruments (which I hate) so fitted in a little project to sweeten the pain -a cigar box uke.

Bought the box off Ebay for £8 incl postage. Made entirely of mahogany and nailed together. Knocked it apart, trued up everything and glued it back together. Joined on a Chinese tenor neck with concert scale fretboard to place bridge in a suitable position. Bottom thicknessed to 1.5 mm to become the soundboard with a cedar patch. Top has walnut binding.

Photo shows size compare with a soprano.

Pleased to say it's loud and sounds great.

View attachment 125498
View attachment 125500
View attachment 125499

Nice idea the tenor neck with the concert fretboard. I wonder if I could do the same with concert neck soprano fretboard. Will have to look at some measurements.
That color really came out nice with a little sanding.

12 fret 000

Yes I know its not a uke but just finished this today.

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 30
  • back.JPG
    back.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 18
  • arm bevel.JPG
    arm bevel.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 18
  • scoop cutaway.JPG
    scoop cutaway.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Headstock.JPG
    Headstock.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 17
a few more pics

Attachments

• Headstock.JPG
    Headstock.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 12 fret inlay.JPG
    12 fret inlay.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 14
  • bridge.JPG
    bridge.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 17
  • soundhole.JPG
    soundhole.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 18
Love them all Titch!! Need to figure out your bridge on the stick. I'm going to guess it's really quiet? I need something to practice with at the office.
The turtle and the mando are awesome!

Love them all Titch!! Need to figure out your bridge on the stick. I'm going to guess it's really quiet? I need something to practice with at the office.
The turtle and the mando are awesome!

The stick is actually close to the loudest of the three.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-ukulele-with-a-pocket-knife/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SRr90aN532U

There is no mando though the Tahitian style is kind of the bastard love child of the mando and the uke
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1yprUlZodNw

Top Bottom