Page 195 of 198 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 1979

Thread: What's happening in your shed?

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    They might as well send you a photo of a small sapling and ask you to be patient.

John Colter
    I'm in no rush. I have plenty to keep me busy - computer, TV, naps.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tonyturley View Post
    but I'm finding more and more I'm not comfortable with a full size body and fretboard,
    I got out my dreadnought guitar the other day to do some guitar playing and after playing the uke for so long it felt like I was holding a small pony in my lap. A very uncomfortable feeling. Now I'm just back to playing ukulele... Nice bear-claw figure. Should really pop after it is finished.

My recently completed baritone, made from exotic Lowe's poplar. I used the Favilla shown with it as my model.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Snape; 07-02-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Looks pretty darn good... Yes, the rare Lowe's Poplar. Not on the CITES list.

Very nice looking, Tom.

That's beautiful!
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Looks good! How does it sound? Poplar is a lighter, soft hardwood so I'd think it would make a decent instrument.

Yes, poplar is a softer hardwood, and it was very easy to work. I think it sounds really good, better than I expected.

Other details: Fingerboard and bridge are pau ferro. Head plate is walnut. Neck laminations and rosette are cherry and maple. Plastic tortoise binding. Spanish heel construction. Three spruce fan top braces.

I've built with more 'normal' tone woods; mahogany, cherry, maple, koa, etc, and really wanted to try some inexpensive wood, especially for trying new designs. I'm very pleased with it and it won't be the last poplar instrument I make. If you keep checking the rack in the store, every once in a while you can find a quartersawn board with interesting color variations.

This was also the first time I cut the saddle slot after gluing the bridge on, instead of trying to measure and hope I got it right. I used a round piece of rod on top of the unmilled bridge as a temporary saddle. I moved the rod around until the intonation was as good as I could get it, and marked the line for the saddle. It worked our really well for me and I think I'll do that from now on.

Ok, now I've put poplar on my "future builds" list. Mate it with walnut for a neck, black locust, osage orange, or persimmon for a fb and it would be all local woods.

Around here I've seen a lot of funky green color in poplar. Could be an interesting look.

I like your method for locating the saddle. I'll have to give that a try too.

I have used poplar for other non-instrument projects and I've found that any greenish tinge turns more brown after it's finished and given some time.

Some of the poplar I've got has more purplish and greyish streaks, no green.

Check out "rainbow poplar". I've never seen it but I guess it's a thing.
    Last edited by Tom Snape; 07-03-2020 at 06:37 AM.

Thread Information