What's happening in your shed?

Any possibility of shortening the scale length or would that make all the other dimensions wrong?
Miguel

I've had this in storage from when we sold our machine shop and was gonna sell it but I found a place for it in the back of my shop. It's worth more than I coulda got out of it if I sold it anyways.
It's actually a pretty cool little machine. 1966 vintage

rockwell mill.jpg

Ken, Thanks for the information on my Rockwell. We used it a lot in our shop and it's still nice and tight. When puch came to shove I just really couldn't part with it.
I still have the original nomenclature that came with the machine.

Not sure possibly, might have to try one without a zero fret as well as a proper or shorter scale length.

Has the fretboard been cut/glued on? Is the neck mounted? If not, why not experiment with a shorter scale length. StuMac has a calculator for that.
...Or, is the neck solid or is it glued up? Maybe cut it at the scarf joint, or where the scarf joint would be, and glue on a new head, allowing for the extra length desired.
Just a couple of thoughts.

should be easy for you with your motorized kerfing gizmo!
Yeh! but first i've got to fit a new blade in the bandsaw..Then sort out a load of straight grain mahogany enough for about 30 sopranos thats 120 lining strips, resaw it into 7mm boards thickness sand down to 6mm then resaw again into sticks then thickness sand again to 6mm square then they are ready for the kerfing gizmo which I then have to set up on the bandsaw...After the kerfing op: I reset the bandsaw table to 30 degrees so I can then trim saw e'm into a triangle shape..It's all work work work... And before I start the dust extractor needs a clean out....I think first I'll brew a pot tea so I can get myself in the mood to start. :)

Last edited:
Another uke going in life in my small workshop ...

A tenor, 432 mm. scale, body Martin SO proportions.

All the building story, with many pics ( as usual ) will be in my blog.

But let the time roll ...

These days ...

6.jpg

Top Bottom