What's happening in your shed?

I wish you wouldn't post such photos, Ken. You know I feel compelled to count the subjects. I can't help it. I make that thirty-four neck blocks, not counting the bevelled one in front. That's a whole lot of joyful music in prospect - and a whole lot of French Polishing to keep Janet busy! She must relish the prospect. (?)

John Colter

I wish you wouldn't post such photos, Ken. You know I feel compelled to count the subjects. I can't help it. I make that thirty-four neck blocks, not counting the bevelled one in front. That's a whole lot of joyful music in prospect - and a whole lot of French Polishing to keep Janet busy! She must relish the prospect. (?)

John Colter
there should have been 36 in total John. ..but one was ruined due to a split in the wood and the other was machined about 1.5 mm off centre while setting up for dovetailing and it will be shimmed to correct it...or I could just bin it :rolleyes:

This is most likely the last 17 fret soprano I will make...as requested by Mrs T. Dark Cuban body 1 piece back top and sides...Sepele neck...Ebony fret board, Nut And Saddle.

Have you ever thought about putting some kind of logo on the headstock? Of course, that would be another big project - routing, etc.

I recognize your green background as a measuring/cutting board for fabric. Good idea. Obviously metric. I was watching something English last night, and one of the characters used "feet," rather than centimeters. I guess that will hang on for a long time. You still refer to MPG, I'm glad to see. The less conversion I have to do, the better I like it. :D

Have you ever thought about putting some kind of logo on the headstock? Of course, that would be another big project - routing, etc.

I recognize your green background as a measuring/cutting board for fabric. Good idea. Obviously metric. I was watching something English last night, and one of the characters used "feet," rather than centimeters. I guess that will hang on for a long time. You still refer to MPG, I'm glad to see. The less conversion I have to do, the better I like it. :D
Ever since 1954 when I was a lad of 15 working as an apprentice Marker out in the machine shop..I became used to working with drawings both metric and imperial measurements....I measure my weight in stones , and beer and milk is still called pints even tho it’s not...money is now metric but I can still count in LSD and my car dash board is set in MPG and MPH...One day maybe they will make Time metric and a day will be 20 hours with 50 minuets in an hour ..imagine that:confused:

image0.jpg

I've looked through the 2x4 challenge thread many times now, and having just refurbished my bandsaw I decided it would be a good project to test my resawing capabilities. Everything here is 2x4 except the linings, braces, and fingerboard/bridge which are purple heart. Also an inexpensive way to practice french polishing.

Last edited:
Funny, I just set up a new bandsaw and I resawed a 2x4 as setup practice - and of course my next thought was "I could build something from this..." I'll have to go find the challenge thread you're referencing. That looks great by the way!

I have a tenor on my bench right now, fitting the neck joint and checking bridge position...

IMG_20200817_152747__01.jpg

What's happening in my shed....is the shed itself. A recent move to Georgia made it necessary to make a new shop. I partitioned a section of the garage and I am busy getting things set up. Pictured is my oscillating drillpress and Jet 10/20 sander. Waiting on my new Jet pro-bandsaw and some more wall plug-ins. Can't wait to get back to building.
DSCF0409.jpg

I see a mention of the 2x4 challenge. I started an entry for this but got side tracked and put it aside for a while (5 years ago?). I had time to finish it this year. All the wood in it is from a very wide grained Douglas fir 2x4. It's a pretty standard concert uke otherwise.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tsnape/50265041677/

What else is happening in my 'shed' (actually basement) is that I'm trying to trouble shoot the motor problem on my 17 year old Laguna band saw. I'm also fixturing up to build a different kind of instrument; a dombra which is a traditional Kazakh instrument with 2 strings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom