What's happening in your shed?

Florida Cuban Mahogany with a "nuts" back.

crotch%20uke.jpg

Last edited:
Last night we were tired and crusing all you guys web-sites and saw some of Mya-Moe ( Aaron's ) "How to Video"...... one in particular caught my attention........ the one where he shows how to layout the bridge. Looked a little complicated ......for beginners......

We've been making a center lay out scale for some time for guitars but today I decided that I'd make a Tenor 14 ukulele layout scale. Tried to include everything but the kitchen sink...... The scale goes from tip to stern......The center scale has a line down the center from top of peghead to the tail of the instrument. It has the bridge located for a MS 17" scale with a 14 fret neck. The bridge area has small holes for a pencil to mark locations. You can also use the template for setting the neck to a center line with marking holes at the area of the top of the body. In addition small marking holes are at the sound hole and small holes are at each of the fret positions to mark the fret locations or to check them as well as the nut location.

What do you guys think?

Blessings,

Kevin

9763201987340.jpg9763201987338.jpg9763201987339.jpg

Last edited:
Beau,

Non moveable parts on the template so you'd have to have one for each change.... (for us not a problem) but probably can slot the template and make a moveable bridge locator..... but not sure it's worth the hassle. We personally like to just be able to reach and grab what we need...... I'll take a photo of our shop and our templates hanging every where next couple of days..... ( we also do mandolin, violin, double bass, guitars, electric guitars, ukulele, auto harps, dulcimers..... etc. )

Blessings,

Kevin

Just bought this used sander and dust collector. I set the sander on an old table for testing. It works well. Now to figure out where to place everything and tie the tools to the collector.
Sander and dust collector 2.jpgPerformax 10-20 Plus -1.jpg20130824_165618.jpg

Just sanded.
Tops and backs choice.
So cool, cup of coffee, music,
and past notes.
With koa soprano set,
hum, 5 ukes to come.
After summer time'll be busy, and 2k14 year too.
Have all my time...
DSCN0789.jpg

My latest tenor build is on hold for a bit while I take care of another equestrian tack trunk commission. The client is my step-daughter's boss so it had better be spot-on! Case and trim will be red oak with custom fitted storage compartments, bandage wrap lid with mirror, dry-erase note board, medicine chest, special lifts, custom monograms and trim. Here's a couple of pics of the first one I did, a bit less involved than the one now under construction:
Large Tack Trunk 018.jpgLarge Tack Trunk 024.jpg

Ive had that fingerboard for a bit and it just didn't work with anything until this build. I just made a cocobolo guitar and the wood gives me a very slight skin reaction- like a memory of chilli powder or something. Still, it is pretty nice to work especially bindings.

This is the heel cap for the neck with the fingerboard end ledge a few posts up.

The fellow i'm making it for was my teacher at the Rudolf Steiner school i went to as a kid for 6 years and I remember him teaching this pattern to us all in class as a coordination and creative exercise. It is quite difficult to execute free hand on a blackboard with chalk in front of a class when your 12 years old. Was a bit tricky this time to but felt great putting this on his heel cap as a surprise :)-

ps- He doesn't know about the fingerboard end either so ssshhhhhhhhh
pps- that is ca glue all over my fingers. Although I usually mix my own grain oil based filler, I grain filled this neck with ca so I could spray it the same day (thanks Chuck) as i only have 7 weeks left with 8 ukes and 3 guitars to finish off- every day counts. ....

engraving.jpg
engraving 1.jpg

I saw these pics on Facebook - I thought you just had crusty, gnarled fingers from working with your hands! I guess it's good to hear that's not your own skin!

Top Bottom