What's happening in your shed?

My workshop got a bit of a tidy up. All the scrap bins of timber too good to toss out.....well after 10 years of storing all those bit and not looking at them, had to go.

As well I bought a new Jet belt sander to replace the little disk / belt combo I've had for years.

All my equipment is on mobile machine bases. They are far more of a PITA to assemble than the machine itself. But finally everything is sorted except for a bit more dust extraction on the new sander.Took some pictures yesterday afternoon to show some overseas friends where I work.

untitled-5.jpguntitled-7.jpguntitled-16.jpguntitled-18.jpguntitled-20.jpg

The "shed" is growing!

DSCF4211.jpg

DSCF4212.jpg

Finally getting around to building the long-planned 7 1/2' x 12' lean-to addition. All the bicycles, lawn care crap, etc., etc. will go in there, freeing up lots of space in the shop :D

A couple of years back mine was like this..while the new shed extension was being built....Still needs a bit of a tidy up today tho.
PICT0005-12_zpsb7c78dae.jpg

Pictures of my shop when it was first built 8yrs ago... It was pristine then..
P9220040.jpg
Its a 10 X 20 shed that I had dropped on a gravel area that was leveled for it.. Instead of putting down a slab of concrete.
I wired and insulated it and put the flooring in.. had someone come in to hang the drywall... I mudded the drywall and installed the plugs and switches..
I have a thermostatically controlled heater hanging from the ceiling to keep things from freezing in there during the winter... like my glues and such.. oh yeah.. Me too...
P6080037.jpg
Its full of tools and such now... Its hard to keep from using it as storage... Its helped alot to be actually building now... that keeps the non essentials out.. Gotta have room to maneuver.

Last edited:
I've been making Ebony soprano fretboards today I purchased one bass guitar 6 string fingerboard blank and resawed it into 12 ukulele boards worked out at £2 per board.... And my custom made fret slotting table saw is still running well 5 years since I built it out of an old B&D corded drill and a broken bandsaw table...I thought i'd make another video of it in action at the same time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzsigK0nIzs

Damn nice jig Ken!

Last edited:
I'm not into making jigs (boring!), but it was time to make a new wood bending jig and I turned to the scrap pile. As I have said before, I'm not into jig making. I understand the need and the wood working allure, but I'm always thinking: When does the fun start? Like making ukuleles. As usual, the thing is pretty crude but gets the job done. I'm calling it the "Wood Tamer: Mark II". New! Improved! White! Notice I actually painted the dang thing which for me is a dainty touch. Picture below of the Wood Tamer (trademarked) taming a piece of nasty old rosewood.

DSCN6808.jpg

Hey, whatever gets the job done, when it comes to jigs, there are no prizes for good looks! What are you using for a heat source?

Bob

On Sopranos I normally fit a 5 layer BWBWB rosette...I make these in the form of a tube, and slice them off in the lathe...But now I'm changing the design to get closer to the original 3 layer rosette that martin had in the old days it's WBW in 2 sizes .25mm white and .75mm black this means that I cant use the tube method, I tried it but it was far too flimsey to cut in the lathe,:( So! I went back to a more traditional way of doing them;) And after 2 long days of experiment and frustration I'm finally getting somewhere..the channel is only 50 thou inch wide so i had to make a special narrow cutter...and I also made a small jig to cut the rosette miters to the exact length so as to get a good butt joint.
Here are some of the efforts I made to get where I am now ..I'll make a video later to show the method I will be using.

Top Bottom