What's happening in your shed?

Cigar box tenor in koa. Featuring my favor coffee: Rancho Aloha. My local laser company did the etching based on Rancho Aloha's coffee label. Bruce Corker was kind enough to give me permission to use their image. The neck (also koa) is in the style of the Kamaka cigar box.
DSCF0054.jpg

I've been jigging!
I have built two molds one for a concert and one for a tenor ukulele, I've also built a steam box and two clamping jigs for bending the sides after steaming the wood. I have built others as well, a jig to sand the radius on the head and tail blocks, a neck scarfing joint jig for the table saw, a 15' radius dish and a complete go bar deck.

The layout and balance of your artwork around the tuners has been very skilfully designed and implemented. Beautiful work, Vic.

Hi Vic...your work has improved a stack ..I’m impressed by the artwork..I remember that you always wanted to get into the inlay style from the the old days when we did the fun uke project and you made that unusual looking fretboard......keep up the good work.:)

I don't normally don't go for blue frogs but had a good laugh when the first image came up. A certain genious involved I think.

Hey Ken, the fun build, that brings back memories. I am trying to remember who was involved and of those, who is still building. So far for those still around I have Ken, Vic, Sven and me. Two of I haven’t heard from for a while are Erich and Matt Clara. Anyway Vic, I agree with Ken that your work is very impressive and it is nice that many of the group are still plugging away.
Brad

I usually build in sets of 4, but this time there were two extras that just demanded to get into the current set, so I did 6. 3 orders and 3 'on spec'.
From left to right:
concert - mango and Port Orford cedar, Kasha braced
concert - spalted tamarind and spruce, spiral rosette
tenor - curly black walnut and water tank redwood, spiral rosette, cardinal inlay
tenor - spalted tamarind and water tank redwood, spiral rosette
tenor - sycamore and Pennsylvania red cedar
baritone - curly black walnut and water tank redwood.

Attachments

• IMG_20200209_150003.jpg
    IMG_20200209_150003.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20200209_150057.jpg
    IMG_20200209_150057.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 31
I usually build in sets of 4, but this time there were two extras that just demanded to get into the current set, so I did 6. 3 orders and 3 'on spec'.
From left to right:
tenor - curly black walnut and water tank redwood, spiral rosette, cardinal inlay
Those are all quite nice, but I'm partial to the baritone. I have thought about building a Kasha baritone, and yours gives me ideas.

From left to right:

Beautiful ukuleles. Loving those rosettes.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I noticed I did a duplicate post so I made a mistake and deleted the first one which evidently removed the photos so here they are again.

Blue frog inlay on a Blue Frog soprano.

BF Frog Inlay 1.jpgBF Frog Inlay 2.jpgBF Frog Inlay 3.jpgBF Frog Inlay 4.jpg

Oh yeah, Ken and Brad, I think of the Fun Build all the time. Maybe some of the new builders will do one eh? That would be fun to watch.

I think of the Fun Build all the time. Maybe some of the new builders will do one eh? That would be fun to watch.

I did a search on Fun Build, but didn't find anything. Was this an informal contest?

Thanks very much for posting those Ken, I have been trying to remember who made what and the video answered that. Unfortunately, the thread posted was about the second fun build that I was not able to complete. That was right before things started going south for me with family health issues followed by my own health problems, which led to an almost complete cessation of my building. I feel badly about that, Vic’s idea is too good to totally abandon, so I am working on an idea to finish what I started and then as Vic has suggested maybe turning it over to some of the younger guys to carry on. I will be announcing the 10th Anniversary Solo Fun Build on Uke Talk shortly.
Brad

Thanks very much for posting those Ken, I have been trying to remember who made what and the video answered that. Unfortunately, the thread posted was about the second fun build that I was not able to complete. That was right before things started going south for me with family health issues followed by my own health problems, which led to an almost complete cessation of my building. I feel badly about that, Vic’s idea is too good to totally abandon, so I am working on an idea to finish what I started and then as Vic has suggested maybe turning it over to some of the younger guys to carry on. I will be announcing the 10th Anniversary Solo Fun Build on Uke Talk shortly.
Brad

Wonderful! I too was having a difficult time during the 2nd Fun Build. The heavy drinking made it worse. I'm sober now, 3 years and 3 months. Looking forward to seeing a new Fun Build!

Sawing up a cherry log that has been drying in my attic for two years. Got it from a tree cut down near me. Trying to get a couple sopranos from it.KIMG0748.jpg

Top Bottom