What's happening in your shed?

I'm doing some early spring cleaning and getting rid of a load of PA and disco speakers and spares from when I had a Recone business...I'll have a lot more space when this lot is gone..I put it all on Fleabay for a fiver...I hope some one will want it ;)

Finally sold the lot to a guy in Edinburgh .... Now I've got some more space;)

Amazing how this thread just keeps going on and on. The trashcan (rubishbin?) of the Luthier's Lounge? Today I spent half the afternoon crushing rocks which is not as easy as you would think. Very tiring to the right arm. Rocks are hard! Then making a turquoise rosette. For another "animal friendly" ukulele a.k.a. the "vegetarian ukulele". No animals were harmed here except my right arm.... By the way, this is really easy and quick way to make a rosette. I'm surprised more people don't do it.

DSCN7483.jpg

Amazing how this thread just keeps going on and on. The trashcan (rubishbin?) of the Luthier's Lounge? Today I spent half the afternoon crushing rocks which is not as easy as you would think. Very tiring to the right arm. Rocks are hard! Then making a turquoise rosette. For another "animal friendly" ukulele a.k.a. the "vegetarian ukulele". No animals were harmed here except my right arm.... By the way, this is really easy and quick way to make a rosette. I'm surprised more people don't do it.

View attachment 97554

What do you mix it with?

CA glue. Just seal before with shellac to prevent running up the grain.
Cool. I'm guessing you sand it smooth afterwards? Is it difficult with the stones being harder than surrounding areas of wood?

I'm thinking about trying this with amber.

Cool. I'm guessing you sand it smooth afterwards? Is it difficult with the stones being harder than surrounding areas of wood? I'm thinking about trying this with amber.

Yeah, just sand out and of course the surrounding softer areas of wood will slightly sand off and cup a little bit. It happens. Not significant in my experience... I'm thinking though that amber, while a good idea might melt with the heat of sanding, but a great idea. Go slow. Could look great. Send pictures!

The latest set of 3

The latest set, all with Alaskan yellow cedar necks.
One standard tenor in 'ambrosia sycamore' with a spruce top, bocote binding, casuarina fingerboard and bridge, sycamore headplate, red abalone rosette.
Two XL tenors.
These XL tenors are new for me. They are a standard tenor body with a long neck, a 19 inch scale instead of the usual 17 in tenor scale. One in casuarina (A wood I have discovered that I really like. It is very hard and an invasive species here in south Florida) with a curly redwood top (from an old water tank), bocote fingerboard, bridge and headplate.
The other is a custom for a friend, Jim Johnson, in Pennsylvania black walnut and streaky water tank redwood, ebony fingerboard and bridge, both with sycamore binding and pink abalone rosette. Both are X-braced. The longer scale length was requested by Jim Johnson who is mostly a guitar player and wanted a bit more room between the frets. The added string tension (they are tuned the same as a normal tenor) is supposed to yield added volume. These are both loud with lots of sustain (both low-G), though I have found that this redwood yields a wonderful sounding uke even on a normal tenor.

Attachments

• IMG_20170206_114337.jpg
    IMG_20170206_114337.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20170206_114206.jpg
    IMG_20170206_114206.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20170206_114109(1).jpg
    IMG_20170206_114109(1).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 115
Fungusgeek, its always good to see what others are making: these 3 look great. I'm thinking it would be even better if you were to post a few more photos showing various stages during the builds. Its interesting to see how others set about making their ukes.

I also think posts may be overlooked in this thread. Why not start a new thread about your builds?

I'm not sure I would have the follow-through to dedicate a thread to the building process. I do post a certain amount of things to my blog at:
http://www.jupiteruke.com/blog/ if you would like a bit more discussion.

Thanks for that: I've had a good look at the link and I can now see what you are doing........thats exactly the sort of info that I like to see.

It has been extremely wet in the shop with humidity levels at 99%. Time to slow down. So the last couple of days I've been fiddling around with making an end graft to pass the time. Amazing the amount of time one can waste on this fairly straight forward process. I can spend hours going through boxes of scrap selecting a piece of wood that I think will make a match. Today I picked out a piece of cocobolo wood which might go with my Oregon myrtle. An odd choice for sure. I'm a sucker for cocobolo even though the stuff is toxic and turns brown. My thinking is that as it oxidizes over time it will begin to match the brown of the myrtle. Anyway, twiddling my thumbs here in the California wet waiting for the dry.

DSCN7486-001.jpg

20170210_081523.jpg
20170210_081512.jpg
A finished Chanenbacker fretless bass ukulele.

Tasmanian oak (eucalyptus regnans) body karri (eucalyptus diversicolor) fretboard and bridge.

Last edited:
It has been extremely wet in the shop with humidity levels at 99%. Time to slow down. So the last couple of days I've been fiddling around with making an end graft to pass the time. Amazing the amount of time one can waste on this fairly straight forward process. I can spend hours going through boxes of scrap selecting a piece of wood that I think will make a match. Today I picked out a piece of cocobolo wood which might go with my Oregon myrtle. An odd choice for sure. I'm a sucker for cocobolo even though the stuff is toxic and turns brown. My thinking is that as it oxidizes over time it will begin to match the brown of the myrtle. Anyway, twiddling my thumbs here in the California wet waiting for the dry.

View attachment 97711

I have envy for your skills.

Top Bottom