What's happening in your shed?

Headstock angle impacts compliance - the perception of "stiffness" when you fret or pluck a string. A really steep angle like that would give a feeling of stiffer strings (all else kept the same). Although, uke strings are generally so soft that factors like this aren't as important as they are on other instrument types (i.e. a steel string guitar or bass guitar).

Soprano Baby Dreadnought.
African Mahogany.
Danish Oil finish

gCLiN-6y0xiphdEor2sV5SztqI8.jpg

uqFudXhK9_xzqUePhmlzTHUOYX4.jpg

93kLqfj9fe-qzFDKLtlUaW_Ns5Y.jpg

YulIsb8jLRrFFg1gRPhBUN4A_V0.jpg

Soprano Baby Dreadnought.
African Mahogany.
Danish Oil finish

YulIsb8jLRrFFg1gRPhBUN4A_V0.jpg

Beautiful! I like through-the-bridge strings.

I'm guessing the smaller the bridge (with the reduced surface area) the more critical the gluing to the top would be. Running the strings through the bridge would put less stress on the glue joint.

Right.
This sort of bridge on my ukes since about 9 years.
34 ukes.
Soprano to Tenor scales.
No pop-up bridge...

Beautiful! I like through-the-bridge strings.

I'm guessing the smaller the bridge (with the reduced surface area) the more critical the gluing to the top would be. Running the strings through the bridge would put less stress on the glue joint.

On the bench: Another Knutsen style teardrop and a Boat Paddle Concert in Cuban mahogany from the Big Island.DSCF0069.jpg
DSCF0070.jpg

Sweet relief.
I like to control everything I can in a build, and I certainly don’t want a neck to bend in an unpredictable way or amount. So I make a super stiff neck, and custom add the exact relief I want to suit the instrument (steel string, classical or uke)
A stiff neck also adds sustain, so win win ��

132280111_3537859662969388_5764224464026177065_o.jpg

Sweet relief.
I like to control everything I can in a build, and I certainly don’t want a neck to bend in an unpredictable way or amount. So I make a super stiff neck, and custom add the exact relief I want to suit the instrument (steel string, classical or uke)
A stiff neck also adds sustain, so win win ��

I agree. Yep ! My way : Heavy duty carbon tube glued with epoxy in a groove.
And yep again, fruit on the cake, more sustain ...

RrTuPHl-kGY92iLYLYW2StEHuvM.jpg

Not a ukulele, but I like the way this guitar turned out so well that I thought this crew might like to see it!

attachment.php

Oops, did I just call it a guitar? Errrm, I meant to say, super-baritone 6 string solid body ukulele! :D

Attachments

• IMG_20210102_142324.jpg
    IMG_20210102_142324.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 108
My goodness, the humble ukulele has come a long way. :rock:

Wait until you see the... ermm, ultra-long-scale solid body "ukulele bass" I'm working on since completing that one!

attachment.php

I did actually buy that crotch walnut to use in ukulele backs and sides. But once I got it in hand it was pretty clear that the grain was too wild and it would never work for that, so it got sawed thicker and used for a solid body top on this bass. When life gives you lemons...

Attachments

• IMG_20201231_163502__01.jpg
    IMG_20201231_163502__01.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 281
20210109_104429.jpg
Decided to fancify my ganged hacksaw blade slot cutting. 3 of these thin blades are giving me a perfect 1.8mm slot for a Spanish heel neck. No plan, just drew some freehand curves on some scrap wood and pencil ruler and 8mm drill and chisel for the mortice and tenon on the cross piece.
I'll probably knock up another for saddle slots shortly.

After working on a guitar project for a while, I've been itching to build another ukulele. it's not like I need any more instruments, but I have a spare tenor ukulele neck, so I'm combining it with some wood I have laying around. Bear Claw Sitka Spruce for the top. Maple for the back. Ash salvaged from an old pallet board for the sides, and yes, I'll be incorporating the nail holes into the design.

DSCF3686.jpg

That's how it begins - with spare parts. Gee, I have these two parts, so I might as well start building. I've done the same thing with ukes, and now I have enough parts to build a computer. I love those "spare parts." ;)
LOL, yep. My stock of spare bicycle parts seems to be growing, too.

Top Bottom