What's happening in your shed?

Titch ..I notice that your builds are getting more professional looking lately.. Have you bought some more tools ? :)

Quiet, my wife may be reading this.

Tool acquisition syndrome is a constant struggle. I have invested in better sanders and sanding attachments. I also pulled an old compound mitre saw from where it was gathering dust that made a difference to making segmented section pots for the banjo uke.

Not pleased with myself right now. I made a mess of the Kasha tenor uke I had been building, trimming too much from the rear of of the treble lower bout when I was tapering the body. I pressed through, gluing it up and adding bindings, but the asymmetry bugs me every time I look at it. I set it aside for a few months while I concentrated on finishing a tenor guitar project, but now I'm faced with scrapping the whole uke project, finishing it and giving it away, or trying to sell it as a second. As I'm not an established name, I doubt #3 would fly. I know I'm capable of much better, and it irks me. Sigh.

Not pleased with myself right now. I made a mess of the Kasha tenor uke I had been building, trimming too much from the rear of of the treble lower bout when I was tapering the body. I pressed through, gluing it up and adding bindings, but the asymmetry bugs me every time I look at it. I set it aside for a few months while I concentrated on finishing a tenor guitar project, but now I'm faced with scrapping the whole uke project, finishing it and giving it away, or trying to sell it as a second. As I'm not an established name, I doubt #3 would fly. I know I'm capable of much better, and it irks me. Sigh.

I think we all feel your pain, or have done at some time. Put it away and carry on, it's not worth stressing over. We all make mistakes, the next one will be better.

I think we all feel your pain, or have done at some time. Put it away and carry on, it's not worth stressing over. We all make mistakes, the next one will be better.
I decided to cut my losses and demolish the thing. I retrieved the pickup I had already installed, as well as the heel and tail blocks. I cleared my head after that by cleaning and reorganizing the workshop, throwing away a bunch of stuff that was gathering dust and tidying up for the start of the next project. Time to move on.

A special request from Mike and Debi for a ukulele in the shape of the Hawaiian honu, or green sea turtle. The neck is a little long (for a green sea turtle) but ok for a tenor uke and putting the googly eyes on the back of the tuners was a silly idea. Just doing a bit of set up on it and waiting for the finish to harden a bit more. I was going to call it a honulele but given there are quite a number of other things called honulele there may be some trade mark issues.20190923_152631.jpg20190923_152625.jpg
20190923_162934.jpg
20190923_162949.jpg
20190923_162938.jpg
Radiata pine body and neck. Spotted gum fretboard and bridge, Blackbutt
face plate. Oyster shell dots. Bone saddle.

I went a little potty.
20191007_105315.jpg

I got my band saw cutting segments for my segmented pots and had a pleasant surprise when I found a pack of rubber bands perfect for clamping the rings together. 3 or 4 rubber bands got them clamped up in no time. Two joins are left unglued so I can band saw out the center of the rings before i glue the rings to each other.
Before I knew it I had enough sets for 4 pots. I will be adding some extra layers of veneer between some of the rings to give me more contrasting colours.

Just a hint: cut your spool clamp bolts down. Amazing how monotonous and time consuming it can be threading and unthreading wingnuts on spool clamps. Boring! Shorter bolt threads help. :eek:ld:

Just a hint: cut your spool clamp bolts down. Amazing how monotonous and time consuming it can be threading and unthreading wingnuts on spool clamps. Boring! Shorter bolt threads help. :eek:ld:
Yeah, I sort of noticed that, LOL.

But, you're not going to wind the wingnut all the way to the top of the bolt, are you? Mine are that long and I mostly only have to adjust them 5 or 10 mm.

But, you're not going to wind the wingnut all the way to the top of the bolt, are you? Mine are that long and I mostly only have to adjust them 5 or 10 mm.
No, I wind the nuts on all the clamps I'm going to use to about the same distance and have them ready to slide in the slots on the building board before I glue.

Here's a collage of some of the stuff I'm currently working on...
Oy0syIv.jpg

Keys holders ...

Goodies joined with my home made ukuleles or gifts from GG Ukes - France.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

ufcytvaKID307316FwGGvbw3QWU.jpg

Attachments

• Porte clés GG ukes.jpg
    Porte clés GG ukes.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Top Bottom