What's happening in your shed?

Just another tahitian style with spotted gum fretboard and forrest red face plate. Fret dots are punched from a potato sack clip. I have also been experimenting with water based poly applied with a brush thickly was not so good with nasty brush marks made worse by trying to rub it back with 600 grit wet and dry that shed just enough black bits to make it look reall ugly. After letting it dry more and sanding out brush marks and re coating thinly and evenly as possible it finished up not too bad20180904_205437.jpg
20180904_195819.jpg.

Was inspired by Beau's grommet video and getting some free in a pack to try and make my own when I looked at my Phillips head screwdriver and put it all together. A quick push into place and a tap or two with the hammer and Robbert is your avuncular relation.
20180912_211742.jpg

Was inspired by Beau's grommet video and getting some free in a pack to try and make my own when I looked at my Phillips head screwdriver and put it all together. A quick push into place and a tap or two with the hammer and Robbert is your avuncular relation.
View attachment 111893

Ian..I think you have a hidden spy camera ..somewhere in my workshop :uhoh:

Mr. Timbuck, this Style-0 looks terrific! Could you upload more pictures of this Uke? (i don't know if thus is how you say it in English).
Another 2 questions:
1) Will you build some Koa Style-1 ukes (or even a never seen Koa Style-0) in the near future??
2) Have you thought about creating a "Style-4"? (I think about a 17 fret uke, with rope binding and rosette, and rope stripe on the center of the fingerboard all the way long as the Style-3; the fret markers could be little diamond shaped using the same two or three woods used for the rope binding). If anyone could create it, I would like that person will be you, mr. Timbuck.

Last edited:
Mr. Timbuck, this Style-0 looks terrific! Could you upload more pictures of this Uke? (i don't know if thus is how you say it in English).
Another 2 questions:
1) Will you build some Koa Style-1 ukes (or even a never seen Koa Style-0) in the near future??
2) Have you thought about creating a "Style-4"? (I think about a 17 fret uke, with rope binding and rosette, and rope stripe on the center of the fingerboard all the way long as the Style-3; the fret markers could be little diamond shaped using the same two or three woods used for the rope binding). If anyone could create it, I would like that person will be you, mr. Timbuck.

:stop: :anyone: Help!!!

Just finished another soprano with the curly figured Sapele sides.."Turned out nice again" :)
{cut out Timbuck's picture from the quote or the forum wouldn't let me post mine!}

Nice! I recently did the same on a charango I built, though mine wasn't quite as figured as yours:
Gm13DLD.jpg

pvEydxe.jpg

hrhOVxC.jpg

Sapele sides, meranti back. Interesting colour difference.

Last edited:
Gorgeous instrument!

Take one of the most beautifully shaped and built ukuleles and give it a gloss like I have never seen, Oh my!!!!!
You have outdone yourself Allen!!! :music:

I’m concurrently building a Kasha tenor uke from Hana Lima ‘Ia plans, and a Kasha-braced nylon tenor guitar using Scott Antes’s plans as the basis. The pic shows the Indian Rosewood TG back with lines drawn for a dreadnought guitar, tenor guitar, and tenor uke for comparison. The Black Walnut in the background has the outline of my newest uke build sketched on it, showing the wider waist I’m using compared to the plans. The Redwood billet on the right is the top for the TG; the uke is also going to have a redwood top. I was going to use Bear Claw Sitka, but the matched set I have isn’t wide enough to fit over my body outline. I spent several hot sweaty hours last night resawing the Redwood billet by hand. After kerfing the plank as deeply as possible on my table saw, I had to use my manual rip saw since the billet wouldn’t fit under the gullet of my band saw. A bunch of planing followed last night and this afternoon. These builds are going to test my skills like no other projects I’ve done, including the rebuilt archtop guitar and uke #1.

Speaking of my first build, I’m still patiently waiting for the Tung Oil to cure. After many rub-downs, oil residue is no longer coming off on my polishing cloths, but the oil is still clearly outgassing, based on the smell coming from the uke. I won’t be using that on a musical instrument again.

P1010694.jpg

Top Bottom