What's happening in your shed?

I've been working the following, ES-335, a Walnut Tenor and a pheasant wood tenor. Building the ES-335 makes me want to build a ukulele sized ES-335. IMG_0411.jpgIMG_0410.jpg

A couple in the current build cycle having their neck alignmet set prior to pore filling. One is an Australian Blackwood Tenor, the other a long neck concert in Australian Tiger Myrtle and Ancient Sitka Spruce.

Blackwood Tenor.jpgneck set1.jpg

Darn. Befor I clicked on the picture I saw the green fretboard and thought, that is cool. Now I got to figure out how to dye maple a vivid green and make a pineapple uke.

Green stabilized maple would probably make a cool pineapple fretboard. There's a lot of it on eBay.

20180504_154554.jpg20180504_154605.jpg
A bandsawn bowl back teddy bear uke with a contrast recycled fence paling layer. I even went to the Royal Australian Mint to print off a brand shiny new birth year dollar coin because they aren't in circulation yet. Fret dots are made from a potato sack clip using a leather hole punch.

Apparently this now makes me a koalafied luthier.

Last edited:
20180515_084059.jpg20180515_084159.jpg20180515_084125.jpg
And the Ukulelephant is now a thing. I was initially upset because the headstock veneer darkened too much when I put the tung oil on so I planed it back and added the pine layer to match the body wood. I quite like the contrasting layer effect there. The fretboard is spotted gum left over from a flooring job my brother is working at now. The tuners were initially worrying me because left hander sets cost three times the price so I took two 2left 2right sets and now have a right hand set for later. Reversing the winding on the A string is an old CBG trick for tuners in odd places.
In case you are interested the amount of left over hardwood floor boards being used as firewood is just scary.

Last edited:
Love the unique ukes, Ian.

This 12" scale sopranino is surprisingly loud tuned GCEA and now I want one for myself. This is #1 of the first batch of 6. It has three braces; a bridge patch; a cross brace on the back opposite the bridge patch; and a cross brace just below, not above the sound hole. 12' radiused back, flat top. The sound hole is higher toward the neck than a typical uke. I guess it has four braces if you count the seam strip on the back. I'll be redoing the plans, make them more professional looking. But I don't think I'm going to change a thing about the uke. Next batch in mahogany, maybe a koa or two. This is one of the best sounding ukes I've made.

sopranino 1-a.jpgsopranino 1-c.jpgsopranino 1-d.jpgsopranino 1-e.jpgsopranino 1-f.jpg

Last edited:
Gave the heat pipe a workout. It was clean before I started. Note the natural side sound port on the aromatic Eastern Red Cedar tenor set. Some might consider it just a knot hole lol. Today I'll begin fitting the tops and backs with their braces. The first four to go out will be a custom mahogany soprano with inlay; cherry soprano; black walnut soprano; and the eastern red cedar tenor.

on the bench.jpg

I also bought a great used Dayton 3/4hp motor for my DIY thickness sander. Runs smooth as silk. It came with this thing, which also runs smooth as silk. I'm not sure what to do with it yet.

lathe a.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom