What's happening in your shed?

Hey this is my second stab at a banjo uke. Concert neck from a cheap uke, Remo 10" drum head and Aquilla red strings. It plays amazing well. Loud and light. Hard part is getting that neck adjusted. Glad I used hangar bolts so it made it easier to pull several times to put in little shims.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4rKt1VevPYRcohZV9
Now I can sell the Duke 10 that's been gathering dust because it's too big for me to play.

Hey this is my second stab at a banjo uke. Concert neck from a cheap uke, Remo 10" drum head and Aquilla red strings. It plays amazing well. Loud and light. Hard part is getting that neck adjusted. Glad I used hangar bolts so it made it easier to pull several times to put in little shims.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4rKt1VevPYRcohZV9
Now I can sell the Duke 10 that's been gathering dust because it's too big for me to play.

Well done, I hope you get many years of enoyment playing your homebuilt instrument. Good job!

I need to whine a bit and don’t see a dedicated thread for that.....

I did a boner move and scraped my binding too thin on one side of the lower bout. This is uke number 2 and I'm trying to incorporate and many new techniques and I can, so it's not surprising that I'd mess up at some point but it's aggravating because the binding looked good before I started on the final scraping and it's a shame to move forward with something I'm not feeling all that proud of. I was a bit tired, anxious to see the final results and started rushing forward - holding it in one hand and using the scraper in the other (which seemed to be going fine and I got overconfident) ....my big takeaway is to build a secure way to hold it for next time, like a couple of foam backed wooden pads for my vise.AE0989D9-4EFA-4D76-8EFE-ED707D764827.jpgEC648CB0-F314-4732-A704-26FCBB62D1D4.jpg.

There's a solid lining in addition to the kerfed lining, so still some structural strength behind it but I'll have to wait and see how it sounds.

Last edited:
Thanks. It's plastic and I've been using CA glue, so I was worried that I’d get even thinner sanding/scraping out the sides again during a second round of glue cleanup. The tapering from the scraper starts a bit into the wood but it might be worth the risk.

Been wanting to do something like this for some time after seeing some fantastic Scrimshaw art by a local artist. Good thing to do in the office, after a week of monsoon rains and the workshop dehumidifier doesn't have any hope to keep up.

Headstock Inlay.jpg

Very nice Allen. Almost a pity to have to drill holes for the tuners in it.
I would spend hours just thinking about the right places to put them.

I did the layout of the inlay in CAD overtop of my peg head template. You might be able to see the 2mm holes drilled for the locations.

Non concentric mosaic rosette in BRW into torrefied spruce.
I added the few slivers of orange as this is going on a pernambuco baritone so it will be a nice tip of the hat to that incredible wood.

54520793_2126715504083818_3105051107768926208_n.jpg
IMG_8974.jpg

I'm still chugging along slowly on my nylon tenor guitar build. My Redwood and Black Walnut tenor uke project hasn't progressed as far, but I have bent some wood and installed some braces. My Torrefied Sitka for the baritone project arrived today. I think I'm going to use Bay Laurel for the back & sides. I've printed the plans, and it will look like this beauty: https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2014/06/c1925-washburn-style-5265-tenor.html

Last edited:
What's happening in my shed? Not much since the humidity is like a jungle. Jungle ukes! All work grinds to a halt. Below a still life with uke. Want to close the box but must wait...

box1.jpg box.jpg

Almost done a bound fretboard with tortoiseshell around Osage Orange. It'll turn a nice brown when it's put in direct sunlight for a few weeks. Now I’m going to search the forum for tips on drilling side dots.F6392709-5D88-4FFF-9F27-E989C5CEE293.jpg

Two ukes I was getting ready for MUMF. All going reasonably well until I cracked a soundboard whilst gluing on the bridge. Will have to see how well I can repair.

R4m0L7s

https://ibb.co/R4m0L7s

Top Bottom