What's happening in your shed?

Nice work Liam. Love the binding and the soundholes. Did you use any particular method to determine the length and breadth of the slots for the soundholes or was it dictated by aesthetics?
Miguel

Thanks Miguel. Mostly aesthetics. The thickness is as per a 1/8" cutter, although I've been testing on scrap to go with laser cutting from now on. Changing the size of the soundhole is supposed to change the sound of an instrument but I can't hear it with the resonator instruments. The second instrument in the batch won't have any sound holes as per the national resophonic design. We'll see if it sounds different.

Fitting back braces with a dog leg chisel (BUY ONE!!!)

Holding the back up by the brace without it being glued yet is a sign of a good fit. Should be able to do it with guitar backs too.

pics 460.jpgpics 462.jpgpics 463.jpgpics 467.jpgpics 468.jpg

I've been making a few mods to my soprano jigs for sanding the compound radius on the uke backs...The extreme bracing is to hold the body sides solid when sanding so I don't get any chatter or flexing..it's not to control springback co's there ain't any:rolleyes:..Here is a link to a slide show of my recent efforts http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/slideshow/ukulele pics/New Jigs

Brazilian back with cedar braces
Koa side wetted
Close up of scraped figured Tasmanian blackwood concert side
Port Orford Cedar top with rope purfling
New end graft- fig maple and tassy blackwood

pics 006.jpgpics 030.jpgpics 032.jpgpics 037.jpgpics 038.jpg

Spool clamps!

Today I have mostly been making spool clamps from an old curtain pole (thanks for the method Rick). I couldn't resist this 100+ year old violin in a local bric-a-brac shop for £35. The back will have to come off for re-gluing and cleating the centre seam before I pass it on to my granddaughter. I don't anticipate too many problems with back removal, since there are a couple of seam separations apparent. Currently considering how to jig up to ensure the back edge stays flat whilst repairing the centre seam, and re-reading threads on using HHG! A plaster cast mould perhaps?
P1060112.jpg

ive been busy this week....

Spruce tenor top bound for Hawaii and same top braced with light. I like that middle fan brace to be off centre on a slight diagonal so as not to be running parallel with the grain line.

Beaver milling machine delivery at Botany.

Shenanigans while deciding what to make with some of my Brazilian rosewood stash.

pics 164.jpgpics 166.jpgpics 167.jpgpics 178.jpgpics 140.jpg

Everyone needs a English Beaver (which is what this milling machine is...)

Back in colorado, i think ill just slap a milling machine vise under my drill press until i can find a cheap mill or drill mill that isn't HUGE and takes a rugby team of Maori's to move

Re-hairing bows today. Instrument repair is the "bread and butter" of my work.

bow%20rehair.jpg

Top Bottom