Page 12 of 171 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: What's happening in your shed?

Default Manzanita build #4

Just putting the finished touches on my fourth from-scratch ukulele, this one manzanita and Incense Cedar. The design is pretty much cloned from the one we did in Rick Turner's class. Here are a few shots.

I sandwiched a thin slice of manzanita in the center of the neck, thinking it might help stiffen it a bit.
    neck.jpg

Here's the braced soundboard attached to the neck.
    neck and soundboard.jpg

A side view of the finished product.
    sideview.jpg

The back is a book matched piece of manzanita.
    back.jpg

The soundboard is Incense Cedar, a close relative of Western Red Cedar. Those little holes above the soundboard are from pecky rot. I tried to work around them, but decided they might work like f holes.
    finished.jpg

Would like to hear that.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gill View Post
    Making my radius dish for the ukulele. They was a slight breeze blowing the dust away.
    I have a similar set up. My dish blank spins on a center pivot point as i move the router from the rim to the center. With a good 1/2" bit it takes no time at all. I use laminated butcher block rounds from Home Depot.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

uke 003.jpguke 010.jpg Having a great time with an old friend, this shaper has been stored off site for too many years, very excited to be using it again. This is a different experience then the doors and windows I made for years with the power feed. I moved the clamp from the headstock to the arm to dimension both and leave a volute. The neck insert is done on another tool from my window days, a matchmaker horizontal mortiser. The neck cf insert, using what I had around. .020 cf on both sides of a maple stick.

Had a bit of an easy day in the shed. Just put the finishing touches to the install of a new DRO on my milling machine, and then spraying of some instruments for clients.

From left to right is a Milo and Ancient Spruce Concert, a Tiger Myrtle and Western Red Cedar Slot Head Tenor, a Blackheart Sassafras and Ancient Spruce Concert, and finally a Blackwood and Bear Claw Sitka Slot Head Tenor Pineapple.

Work In Progress 26-05-2013.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Had a bit of an easy day in the shed. Just put the finishing touches to the install of a new DRO on my milling machine, and then spraying of some instruments for clients.

From left to right is a Milo and Ancient Spruce Concert, a Tiger Myrtle and Western Red Cedar Slot Head Tenor, a Blackheart Sassafras and Ancient Spruce Concert, and finally a Blackwood and Bear Claw Sitka Slot Head Tenor Pineapple.

Work In Progress 26-05-2013.jpg
    Pardon my ignorance... what is DRO?
    Tobin Crooks

Quote Originally Posted by tobinsuke View Post
    Pardon my ignorance... what is DRO?
    Durham Research Online ?... No!
    Debt Relief Order ?.... No!

D igital R ead O ut ? ..Yes!
    see here http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/
    Last edited by Timbuck; 05-25-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Good question. As Ken said, it stands for Digital Read Out, or DRO for short.

Milling Machine with DRO.jpg

Unless you are working with these things, you probably would never run across the term.

I looked at countless numbers of them from all over the place, and while there are ones you can find on ebay for less, I know some people that have bought them and had nothing but grief trying to decipher the less than English translations of the manuals. I decided that the learning curve was going to be steep enough, and that I wanted to be able to jump in and use the system without jumping through hoops and learning Chinglish. So I paid a bit more and got a 3 axis one from these guys.

Fantastic service from them and questions answered as best as can be expected when you live across the international date line. The manuals and video's are worth every penny extra over the bargain ones available.

Coffee time.
    Mezzo soprano neck & fingerboard.
    Right now...DSCN0622.jpgDSCN0620.jpg
    Last edited by gerardg; 05-25-2013 at 10:20 PM.

A spot of heel capping and Brazilian rosewood veneer of the back of a headstock

pics 289.jpgpics 284.jpgpics 288.jpg

Thread Information