What's happening in your shed?

Sequoia, I do like the zero fret. Perhaps it is because a high nut led me down the path to lutherie. And I have found it difficult to make a proper nut myself.

My first attempt at French polish, and the first vacuum clamped saddle.
Vacuum clamp was made from a bicycle tube and natural rubber.

Attachments

• 20211104_183140.jpg
    20211104_183140.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211104_183051.jpg
    20211104_183051.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 14
Just finished up a cherry and spruce tenor with walnut bindings and head plate and Texas ebony fretboard and bridge. Oh, and gotoh tuners. I like them a lot, just not the cost!
WbUmlGY.jpeg

gYF5BGO.jpeg

lwY8fbC.jpeg

CcPpazu.jpeg

Two new ukuleles in the works. Osage orange concert and pistachio tenor.
cvvIy6l.jpeg

cuSi7hp.jpeg

Last edited:
Just finished up a cherry and spruce tenor with walnut bindings and head plate and Texas ebony fretboard and bridge. Oh, and gotoh tuners. I like them a lot, just not the cost!

Two new ukuleles in the works. Osage orange concert and pistachio tenor.
That's quite a nice looking tenor, Matt. Osage Orange for the sides of that concert is cool. I have a baritone and a tenor in the works that will have Osage fretboards and bridges.

I took a box of Maple scrap and built a butcher block style portable work surface with breadboard ends. I needed to elevate it from the table in order to get clamps under it for gluing instrument plates and braces, but I didn't want to use plain dado joints, so I took the plunge and attached the Cherry legs with sliding dovetail joints, my first time attempting such a joint. I'm pleased with how they came out. Now I just need to finish sand the Cherry legs, then give them a couple coats of boiled linseed oil, like the top already has.

butcher board.jpg

I took a box of Maple scrap and built a butcher block style portable work surface with breadboard ends. I needed to elevate it from the table in order to get clamps under it for gluing instrument plates and braces, but I didn't want to use plain dado joints, so I took the plunge and attached the Cherry legs with sliding dovetail joints, my first time attempting such a joint. I'm pleased with how they came out. Now I just need to finish sand the Cherry legs, then give them a couple coats of boiled linseed oil, like the top already has.

View attachment 136826
Only yesterday I made the Wife a chopping board out of scrap...I finished it in parafin wax to make it food safe..nothing like as flash as that tho :)

some years ago I bought an old Victorian mahogany table with the intention of making several ukuleles out of it it arrived in four pieces ..But the wife talked me out of ukeifying it and restoring it instead this I did and it turned out to be a fine piece of furniture. Here it is with my latest soprano.
EAAC3C79-22E6-496D-8880-19DFF33DACBE by Ken Timms,

some years ago I bought an old Victorian mahogany table with the intention of making several ukuleles out of it it arrived in four pieces ..But the wife talked me out of ukeifying it and restoring it instead this I did and it turned out to be a fine piece of furniture. Here it is with my latest soprano.
Did you ever turn an old mahogany table into ukes? I remember you talking about it and I thought it was a done deal. Looks like Mrs. Timbuck has proved the old adage once again, behind a great man stands a much more sensible woman.

Ken, the only problem with that uke is that it needs a neck. I think I see a suitable piece of mahogany elsewhere in the photo...

Santo soprano latest steps...
Loprinzi Fingerboard Conditioner on padouk fretboard and bridge.
So many pics about the whole building in the blog.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom