What's happening in your shed?

Interesting. I would describe the color of bois d'arc (what we call Osage orange and pronounced "bow dark") as more urine colored than puke colored, but any darkening would be a good thing in my mind. This is exactly what we are trying NOT to do with our exotics like cocobolo and other pretty colored woods that fade over time, but for this wood darkening is good. I would describe it as "dark butterscotch" colored and quite attractive. As a fretboard, there is no way you are going to wear that stuff out.

Just finished my 2 12 string 12 fret guitars, but wanted to show Vespa Bob that I finally got round to using the Zipflex for the rosettes. Thanks again Bob.

Reminds me of why I hated 12 string guitars. So many strings to restring! I love that ukuleles only have four. I can handle that. Love the way 12 strings sound though. Nice looking instruments too. Not too tarted up.

Simple inlay pattern that pleases me.

Attachments

• 20220118_133005.jpg
    20220118_133005.jpg
    916.5 KB · Views: 35
This is a wee tenor sized koalalohalele made for the Ukulele Scotsman in Sydney. http://www.ukulelescotsman.com/

Meranti body, bandsawn bowl back style. fretboard from Spotted gum floorboard, map of Australia and Aussie animal fret markers burned in using a soldering iron. The logo is printed on tracing paper and superglued down with a couple of coats of superglue over the top.

20220119_094955_copy_497x1078.jpg
20220119_095010_copy_1080x498.jpg

Soprano Cigar Box Ukulele. The box is a nice big 9x6x2.5 which is the same size as a pineapple soprano. Both the top and the back have been thinned to 2.3mm and braced, giving the cigar box the same resonance as a conventionally built uke.

cigarboxJE.JPG

Soprano Cigar Box Ukulele. The box is a nice big 9x6x2.5 which is the same size as a pineapple soprano. Both the top and the back have been thinned to 2.3mm and braced, giving the cigar box the same resonance as a conventionally built uke.
I need that uke like I need another... oh never mind. 🙃

I need that uke like I need another... oh never mind. 🙃
The subliminal message is working.....
................I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me having more ukuleles.

Last edited:
Made some blocks for a couple of guitars I'm starting. Wood has become so expensive now, I thought I would use what I had lying around. I've accumulated a few mahogany wedges leftover from scarfing necks, so I glued them together to make laminated tail blocks. I usually add a ply strip as shown for added strength. Waste not, want not!
P1000750a.JPGP1000746a.JPGP1000747a.JPG

The hole in my bandsaw insert was getting a bit large. I was about to make a new one and wondered if I could save myself some work by using the old superglue and bicarb method. Works a treat.
20220126_134012_copy_465x559.jpg

Not exactly a ukulele, but it is on the bench. Medieval gittern and renaissance cittern on the flip side, inspired by the "turnover" uke-mando:

Attachments

• DSCI0001.JPG
    DSCI0001.JPG
    547.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCI0014.JPG
    DSCI0014.JPG
    905.2 KB · Views: 20
Bent linings. Having too much fun with bending. 3.5mm yellow poplar (tulip poplar) a common, inexpensive, plentiful wood around these parts that yields to bending quite easily. IMG_20220217_165145957.jpg

Yes, I gotta cut those rods down.

Can I ask what you are using for heat with your bender?
I have three small 100 watt halogen bulbs inside of it which get to just over 300F with time. The waist bend is done first on a pipe.

Practicing a few "rope tricks."

I have not done anything like this before, so results are less than perfect, but still sort of cool looking. IMG_22022022_172302_(3000_x_1688_pixel).jpgIMG_22022022_172250_(3000_x_1688_pixel).jpgIMG_22022022_172321_(3000_x_1688_pixel).jpg I shouldn't have extended the purfling line into the mitre. Oh well, next time I will know better.

Practicing a few "rope tricks."

I have not done anything like this before, so results are less than perfect, but still sort of cool looking. View attachment 139123View attachment 139124View attachment 139125 I shouldn't have extended the purfling line into the mitre. Oh well, next time I will know better.
Nope, probably not but until you pointed it out I hadn't noticed. These are the things that only the builder notices. Looks fine.

Lovely work. What plan did you use?
Hi Bob, the body plan was the Stewmac Martin 000 12fret 6 string, which I modified by beefing up the bracing and added carbon fibre neck reinforcement. I made the neck a little wider also to accomodate the 12 strings. The headstock was my own design, based on many others I'd looked at for ideas. I used the 000 plan as I had previously made some 6 strings, and had the mold ready to use.
Cheers Mike.

Top Bottom