What's happening in your shed?

Timbuck sez - "my usual way to darken this ebony is to put it in the shed window and expose it to sunlight"

I'm like that. I start off a sickly pink and go darker when exposed to sunlight.
The freckles eventually run together but it's a slow, tedious process that can only be accelerated by applying several coats of single malt.

Gorgeous! I've often wondered if it were possible (and sustainable in terms of end-result long-term durability) to glue together such an alternating combination of tone woods. Thank you for posting!
I think you're just looking at the butcher block surface on which the mold was sitting. The back wasn't on the uke yet.

4DE7E3AC-1E02-49E0-B961-909C159CA24E.jpeg
just finished up this 12” scale mini uke. super excited that this one sounds pretty wonderful (for the size). my first attempt at a mini uke I played it too safe and it didn’t have much volume. the second attempt i did a soprano scale (13.5”) which put the bridge a little too low. this time i stuck with the 12” scale, adjusted the bracing and it all came out! got some fun inlays on it too!

Lots of shop time this week. Uke #12 is getting finish coats, and uke #14 just got closed today. Always a satisfying step in the building process.

14 closed.jpg

First fitting of the rough cut neck on #14. It was a perfect fit on the first attempt. a first for me. I've always had to do a bit of flossing to tweak the alignment on previous builds. After a brief flirtation with a Spanish heel joint on the baritone that's getting its finish coats, this one returns to a bolted mortise & tenon. Bindings and arm bevel are next.

first fitting 100822.jpg

Venetian #2 is well under way. First time working with butternut and it is really a pleasure to work with. Planning on binding the top, I've figured out how I'm going to work the end graft into it, but haven't figured out if I'll do a strip straight across the neck joint or leave it plain into the neck, or maybe a separate fretboard.
IMG_0379.jpg

^^^ Yes, very nice shape with great proportions.

A rough cut neck + a trim router + a pattern bit + a carefully tapered and centered fretboard + a peghead template + strong double-sided tape = a ukulele neck neatly trimmed to the fretboard and ready for final shaping. That part will be done with hand tools only.

Attachments

• tapered 101022.jpg
    tapered 101022.jpg
    458.3 KB · Views: 19
Venetian #2 is well under way. First time working with butternut and it is really a pleasure to work with. Planning on binding the top, I've figured out how I'm going to work the end graft into it, but haven't figured out if I'll do a strip straight across the neck joint or leave it plain into the neck, or maybe a separate fretboard.
View attachment 144299
Hey, Sam, I experimented with some butternut a year or two ago. I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it. I recall it is quite light and on the soft side for a hardwood. Something about the sanding dust did not agree with me though, so I don't use it anymore. I recommend good dust control and mask/respirator.

And on goes the binding, this shape is super forgiving so it wasn't too hard.

Hoji, your uke was actually what inspired me to try butternut. My first impressions are it's super easy to work with, it planes and scrapes very well. To me it's kind of like walnut mixed with basswood. The top I planed to 2mm and the back I planed to 2.5mm, much thicker than the one I made out of poplar. However it feels as flexible if not more than the poplar.
IMG_0395.jpgRenderedImage.jpg

View attachment 144141
just finished up this 12” scale mini uke. super excited that this one sounds pretty wonderful (for the size). my first attempt at a mini uke I played it too safe and it didn’t have much volume. the second attempt i did a soprano scale (13.5”) which put the bridge a little too low. this time i stuck with the 12” scale, adjusted the bracing and it all came out! got some fun inlays on it too!
Is the sound board black walnut?

More progress on the Venetian, neck is made from 1/2" butter nut, stacked for the heel and scarfed for the headstock, fretboard and headplate are walnut and the diamond inlays are cherry. First time doing inlay like this and it went well. Neck is attached with a small slotted screw like on the originals, it'll be glued with hide glue once I get the profile cut out.
IMG_0414.jpg

Getting close, going to wet it and sand it a few more times and it'll be ready for finish. I'm not sure what I'll use for a finish, maybe Danish oil? I like shellac but I'm not sure it'll be robust enough with how prone to dents this wood is.
View attachment 144458
that one is sooo fun! can’t wait to see it with strings on!

Getting close, going to wet it and sand it a few more times and it'll be ready for finish. I'm not sure what I'll use for a finish, maybe Danish oil? I like shellac but I'm not sure it'll be robust enough with how prone to dents this wood is.
View attachment 144458
Don't forget to find where the bridge goes and tape it off before you put your Danish oil on.

You are looking at my first and last completed arm bevel. My first try - following Jay Lichty's excellent video instructions - was a total disaster. I thought I had messed this one up also, but CA and Rosewood sawdust came to the rescue. The bottom edge toward the back is still not as crisp as I'd like if I look close. But I'm going to take tomorrow off and go for a long bike ride in the woods. No wonder you guys that build instruments for a living have a significant up charge for a bevel. What a pain!

PA200011.JPG

Top Bottom