What's happening in your shed?

Sam, that is a most elegant instrument. Some years ago I had a similar problem finishing a soprano I made from Maple. I made three failed attempts with brushing varnish then stripped it down to the bare wood and simply wiped it with beeswax furniture polish. The result was quite pleasing but I was glad to see it go!

I got the first ukulele together using the pommele sapele I showed earlier. The sapele was fairly easy to work and glued and finished well. I still need to do the final sanding and polishing after the lacquer fully cures. It is very hard to wait though, I ended up using lattice bracing and really want to hear what it sounds like.

View attachment 145843
Whoa! Seriously gorgeous wood!

Back to making ukes! Bound the body last night, still messing with the width of the binding. I accidentally made the last one too wide and I'm thinking this one is a little on the skinny side.

Fingerboard and head plate are done, waiting for my glue to prepare as I type this.

The last 3 I used a 1" long 8-32 brass wood screw for the neck, but this time I'm going to try a threaded insert and a #8 brass bolt. I think its overkill, but the brass insert and flathead bolt caught my eye in the hardware store.
IMG_0983.jpgIMG_0984.jpgIMG_0986.jpg

Almost to the finish line! Had it strung up for a day or two and it sounds pretty good! (Even with really crappy strings!) Took the setup down to dress the frets, polish the nut/saddle, and apply a final coat of wax to make sure it looks nice, shiny and clean. Setup is probably my worst area, but it's always worth it after seeing the ebony polish up!
IMG_1026.jpgIMG_1032.jpg

Almost to the finish line! Had it strung up for a day or two and it sounds pretty good! (Even with really crappy strings!) Took the setup down to dress the frets, polish the nut/saddle, and apply a final coat of wax to make sure it looks nice, shiny and clean. Setup is probably my worst area, but it's always worth it after seeing the ebony polish up!
View attachment 146973View attachment 146974
Love the diamond shaped fret marker inlays! The super-narrow binding gives it that extra touch of class.

More than 3 months after I thought I was done with this step, I've hit a wall in the construction of my super tenor. A couple of serious medical emergencies in my family have kept me out of the shop mostly since the beginning of December, but I'm trying to work my way back. The more I looked at my second attempt at an arm bevel, the worse it looked, so I finally decided to carve it off and resand the bevel. I really am at a loss as to how to proceed from here. The video instructions I was following were very clear, but I just didn't like how it turned out. I'm pondering a segmented bevel. Any suggestions?

bevel-woes.jpeg

I don't do arm bevels as I see them as unnecessary and an affectation. I've played the ukulele for years and just don't see the need. Some do....

Where to go from here is a bit difficult for me to say. From the picture it seems you are committed to do something. Time to get creative. Good luck.

And best wishes on your family health emergencies. I know how crazy it can get.

Thanks. This is definitely my first and last bevel. I just wanted to try one - and I'm really second-guessing that decision.

Thanks. This is definitely my first and last bevel. I just wanted to try one - and I'm really second-guessing that decision.
I am getting close to the point of dealing with a bevel on a guitar, will be watching.

More than 3 months after I thought I was done with this step, I've hit a wall in the construction of my super tenor. A couple of serious medical emergencies in my family have kept me out of the shop mostly since the beginning of December, but I'm trying to work my way back. The more I looked at my second attempt at an arm bevel, the worse it looked, so I finally decided to carve it off and resand the bevel. I really am at a loss as to how to proceed from here. The video instructions I was following were very clear, but I just didn't like how it turned out. I'm pondering a segmented bevel. Any suggestions?

View attachment 147073
I think it looks really good actually- the proportions look spot on. What was the problem?

On the bench: A Santo style soprano, a koa neck for a pineapple, and a lute-ukulele.

DSCI0003.JPG

Top Bottom