What's happening in your shed?

I've never had the nerve to build one with a top out of Tiger Myrtle. Not willing to take the chance on it sounding exactly like wet cardboard.

I've never had the nerve to build one with a top out of Tiger Myrtle. Not willing to take the chance on it sounding exactly like wet cardboard.

Allen, a number of the guys who I've known who have built with cardboard woods (think quilt Sapele also) have pore filled with epoxy, and that seems to liven up the wood a bit. Of course Tiger Myrtle has very fine grain and pores, so perhaps one would need to use some vacuum to drive some epoxy in there, or even just flood it with thin CA.

Yer- when i first taped on some tiger myrtle, i didn't have any hope of it making a decent guitar. But it consistently did so i thought i'd give it a go as a soprano top. If it sounded bad, it sure would look good.

Like 3/4 of my personal instruments built while at Gilet, all the wood on that soprano was free- body was guitar off cuts, she oak neck out of the bin when (thanks Gerard), Brazilian RW fingerboard bindings and headstock veneer were to small for anything else. Ebony bindings were from students broken bits.

Actually, i did pay the $4 for the tuners (thanks Paytons) and $1 for the 1mm side dots...i guess i lucked out there ;(

Just finished Tassi Blackwood concert, got a Bubinga/Englemen spruce Soprano on the go. also built a stave snare drum out of Wattle. Hoping to start my first accoustic guitar.

Wow, I love the look of the Milo.Can anyone recommend a supplier for a couple sets? Ive looked around a little and havent found any.

I'm working on closing up my tenor this week. Can't figure out what I want to bind it with and what headstock veneer to use. Maybe some curly koa. Current build is sinker redwood top and a Macassar Ebony back and sides.

Wow, I love the look of the Milo.Can anyone recommend a supplier for a couple sets? Ive looked around a little and havent found any.

I'm working on closing up my tenor this week. Can't figure out what I want to bind it with and what headstock veneer to use. Maybe some curly koa. Current build is sinker redwood top and a Macassar Ebony back and sides.

Why not post a couple of pictures with what you have? Maybe we can help with some ideas for the bindings scheme...

I posted these pics on another thread. I did not get much feedback on the binding or headstock question. Let me know what you all think. I'm eager for input. This is my second scratch build. Still learning alot! I'm hoping to take some better photos once I close up the back.

Attachments

• photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 178
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 165
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 169
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I got the 3 sets of Milo I've been building with from Brett at Curly Koa Tonewoods. His website is a bit rough and hard to navigate, but if you contact him, I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.

I did a bit of a review of using it for first timers on a recent build. You can see it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been moving machinery about....putting unwanted odd things out for the scrap men and refuse collectors...sorting out tools and putting them back in their correct place....and burning lumps of wood left over from the extension....And started building a couple of new workbenches and shelving..... Mrs Timbuck has got 2 1/2 gallons of fencing paint, and She is going berserk painting anything that dosn't move about :D

I posted these pics on another thread. I did not get much feedback on the binding or headstock question. Let me know what you all think. I'm eager for input. This is my second scratch build. Still learning alot! I'm hoping to take some better photos once I close up the back.

So it's looking good! My first thought is to suggest going with a low-contrast choice, perhaps ebony, with some fine purfling lines between the bindings and the other woods. But you could also go with a high-contrast choice such as Maple, or Holly. She's a really nice dark uke, so your options are good. Personally, I'd go dark. You could use the same wood as the sides and it could look really cool.

I laminated some black/white/black purfling today. I had some curly koa binding. I bent the koa bindings to try out. If the color of the Koa/ ebony and sinker redwood dont match well Ill keep looking. I also have some celluloid bindings. I have some tortoise and some flame, which is similar to tortoise, but has more of the light amber colors. Once the back sets, I'll flush cut the body and try and match up the bindings I have. I tried once to bend ebony binding, It didnt work out well for me. LOL! but I need to get more of it and try again now that I have more experience bending.
7.jpg1.jpg4.jpg5.jpg2.jpg

Here's a little hint that most guys who build guitars don't like to admit to...

Everyone has issues bending ebony linings. I've broken my fair share of them as well, and most guys have come to realize that once under finish, you can't tell that they are ebony at all....so they just use black plastic. That stuff bends much easier, and looks the same under finish. But I didn't tell you that, okay?

:eek:Well I will be ordering some black plastic binding then. Thanks for that SECRET TIP! lol! Ok, I closed it up and routed the sides. She is looking pretty good for an amatuer.

Attachments

• eb1.jpg
    eb1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 156
  • eb2.jpg
    eb2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 137
So - it's not a 'shed' - but I've spent a couple of days re-inventing my garage (again!)

P1040113.jpg

And set to work making the most of it!

P1040116.jpg

I've cut the veneer to re-face my soprano - the back piece is being kept flat between two pieces of glass and the side piece is starting it's moulding process......

Top Bottom