What's happening in your shed?

I would love to have carpeting in my shop, but it's in the basement of my house, and on some occasions we can get flooded decently enough to ruin any floor coverings. Need to find better shop space. I'm actually hoping to open up a guitar and ukulele shop in the not too distant future and do sales, repairs, and building out of there. Not sure if I can ever afford to make it really happen, but that's a goal of mine.

From L to R: rosewood back and sides with hemlock top, walnut back and sides with western red cedar top, and an all mahogany ready to assemble. All of these are sopranos. Not pictured...three all cherry sopranos.

Attachments

• DSC04082.jpg
    DSC04082.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 124
I came a wee bit closer to producing another miniature:

bild-797928.JPG

The closest thing to woodworking I came yesterday was improvising a larger cutting board for a mega sized loaf of bread. It was needed because of the action that kept me out of the shop:

Dust Artist!..I don't have sawdust any more...it's banned

At the moment in between Wiring up a few outlets and security lighting and fixing a generator...I'm building 5 Sopranos...4 Mahog...and 1 Koa :)
PICT0001-17_zpsa83a85f2.jpg

Last edited:
These past two days I've been in New South Wales along with Liam at our mate Micheal Connors. Among other things on the agenda, we're prepping kits for several uke classes. So a bit of wood is getting sliced up.

We picked a few pieces out of a pallet of Blackwood we have to cut into body sets.

Pallet Of Blackwood.jpg

Then cut them up into the appropriate sized components.

Tops and Backs.jpgSides.jpg

Then a rather nice billet of Brazilian Mahogany is cleaned up prior to layout of all the parts for necks.

Mahogany Billet.jpg

Then a few hours latter they are all ready to glue up into necks.

Neck Components.jpg

We got all 45 necks glued up with hot hide glue this afternoon. I have video footage of most all the steps so far and will put it together in a video after we're done and I have some time.

Thats awesome what you are doing there Allen. Do you pre bend the sides? When are you coming through Brisbane. I would like to catch up one day. Regards Ross.

I bend the sides about a week before the class is to start. We've got 52 tenor uke sets cut and 45 necks. Will do us for a few classes now.

Heading north next Wednesday most likely.

Been plugging away steadily making up new workboards for class's and glued up some tops and back sets. Always takes a long time when you have to build new workboards but each time they improve over the last ones. After they are all sanded and glued up they are hit with 3 coats of lacquer, sanded up again and then 2 more coats of lacquer.

workboards1.jpgWorkboards 2.jpg

Also enough bookmatched back and top sets have been glued up for a couple of class's.

Glued up Sets.jpg

The First batch of 5 sopranos are now almost completed 2 gone to new owners and the rest being finished off by Mrs Timbuck....So I have made a start on the next lot :)

Trying to move along my uke projects this weekend. I have a half dozen Spanish Cedar neck blanks roughed out, and plates for three Tas Blackwood tenors joined and thicknessed. I've got some Koa about ready to go for a couple more. One of the Blackwood tenors will have a blackwood top, while the other two will get redwood. The Koa tenors are Koa t/b/s sets. I like to work in increments of two, so I have one more to figure out. I've also got a couple of Koa sets coming from Bruce Creps for a couple of my Smiley-Uke tenors, which should be started soon as well if I can get my act together.
This weekend I'm hoping to resaw some large Blackwood billets and cut some things on the cnc for a coworker, and I have to do a prototype bridge for a guitar builder friend on the cnc as well. If that goes well, then it's on to the six ebony blanks for those.

I just finished making twenty spool clamps this morning. In the last week I have made a side bender and mold for a pear shape tenor ukulele.

Not as impressive as most the stuff here but I try. The body of my solid body bass uke.
207172_10152784942930693_1264842045_n.jpg

pics 056.jpgpics 057.jpgpics 058.jpgpics 059.jpgpics 104.jpg

Matching Tenor and guitar (both in Tassy blackwood back/sides + Sitka top and segmented rosettes).

I'm helping out a mate at Opera Australia painting backdrops for an Opera at Sydney's Opera House. Nice work shop hey! Each of those canvas red back drops are 10 x 7.5 meters......there are 4 of them......... By the end of it they cost about $15,000 each to make in materials and labour.

Last edited:
Top Bottom