What's happening in your shed?

Actually sounds rather nice. Got me thinking about your little insert in the sound hole. How much does it drop the hole frequency or where did the final uke end up at? Just does not sound like your average tenor.

Wow , that binding looks great . My favorite Martins are Styles 1 and 2 .
The black binding looks better than tortoise .

Last edited:
Mango / flamed mapple body Grand Concert Compact 406 mm. scale in progress.
All the story on website.
Update page every week.
Thank's.

Y02LC9rhspqYn5LVja1JrtkOGeg@500x375.jpg

I’ve done several sunbursts in the past, but they have been the more traditional darker colors, this one is a honey color that is new in this shed. It’s best to use a die stain applied directly to the wood if you want the most clarity and impact, but you only get one chance to do it right, and I haven’t gotten up the nerve to do it—maybe next time. Instead, I mix the stain in the lacquer and make it the first coat directly over shellac sealer. That way, the lacquer can be wiped off with thinner if you screw up. The stain used here is StewMac ColorTone vintage amber, mahogany and black. Everything is mixed in the same cup and sprayed on scrap wood to get the desired color when mixing (turn pressure up and flow down on your gun to get a misting spray). The first coat was about 10 drops vintage amber and 3 drops mahogany (to tame the yellow a little bit) mixed in a small spray gun cup of lacquer reduced 10%. This was sprayed as a solid coat over the entire instrument. The mahogany was added to darken the mix and the first layer of the burst was sprayed in about three passes. More mahogany and about 3 drops of black were added for the final passes. I masked the binding in this case, but it can be scraped after spraying.

HMLC1021a.jpg HMLC1021b.jpg HMLC1021c.jpg DSC02018d.jpg HMLC1021e.jpg

I have some StewMac stain sitting in my shop unused. Never had the guts... Stuff ain't cheap neither. Maybe I'll get around to trying this method... Very nice looking instrument by the way.

Beau: that's a beauty with or without the bird. I'm sure it will sing your praises, sweetly I trust.

Hluth: as always your work looks so clean and classy. Its always great to see what you are doing.

17 fret Soprano...all Mahogany with rosewood fretboard .. black + white and rosewood bindings...Didn't turn out too bad....I have three more K1 Sopranos on the go as well, these are all made from the excellent sets of Koa supplied by Pete Howlett.

Last edited:
Top Bottom