What's happening in your shed?

Ken, maybe it's the photos but the mahogany and koa ukes have a similar golden tint which I like. Are you using dyes or stains to do this? Thanks Mike.

What I'm looking at is that lovely finish. I see you didn't hurl this one on the shop floor. Perhaps your lovely and talented assistant should get a raise after work like that. Very nice indeed.

Thats it ..A batch of six sopranos finally completed .. Now the sun has finaly come out I'm off for some bike riding .. I put on a about 20lbs over the winter so it's time to start slimming again.

I have started my first ukulele restoration project. Unfortunately I am restoring a mahogany Type 0 style I made about 30 months ago. A crack appeared in the upper bout due to neck tension and an unrelated crack opened up in the back because I thinned it too much. Both beginners errors but I thought it would be fun to pick up some restoration experience on a uke that isn't ancient and precious.
So the back has come off and I am gluing in various patches to sort the cracks in the bout and the back. I might reset the neck too. All good fun
Max

A veritable smorgasbord of ukuleles. I don't know which one I would play first. All very tasty looking...

SAME!

Cocobolo/ Spruce with arm bevel and scoop
Tassy blackwood/ Redwood w cutaway
Koa/ Redwood
Koa/ Redwood with cutaway and scoop
Maple/ Spruce
Ziricote / Curly Redwood

I just got a new tone generator so now i can measure all the resonances of these

Last edited:
I just got an inquiry for building a “ukulele tuned in fifths”, essentially a mandolin but with nylon strings. Several years ago Aquila came out with Nylegut strings for fifths tuning and it inspired me to build a few “mandos” using the strings (below is one example). This can be done with a standard size soprano uke, but I made mine with a mandolin size body. The sound is more subdued than the steel string version with a nice warm tone.

IMGP6060.jpg

Top Bottom