What's happening in your shed?

cos I'll never use it.
Save a couple of feet of that wire, Ken. You never know when you'll be asked to restore a baritone, launching you into a whole new round of jigs, moulds, tools, and another new UU thread :D
Well, we can always hope
Miguel

Save a couple of feet of that wire, Ken. You never know when you'll be asked to restore a baritone, launching you into a whole new round of jigs, moulds, tools, and another new UU thread :D
Well, we can always hope
Miguel
No Barri's for me ...I'm now into the 3rd Concert body ..and planning one more with Koa back and top avec Indian rosewood sides.

I'm intrigued by that carving on the backside. Very interesting. I love how it expands the BWB lines along the curve. Now this has me thinking....hmmmm....hmmmm...how did he do that. Thanks Beau, but I think I will experiment first before I attack my peghead.

I'm intrigued by that carving on the backside. Very interesting. I love how it expands the BWB lines along the curve. Now this has me thinking....hmmmm....hmmmm...how did he do that. Thanks Beau, but I think I will experiment first before I attack my peghead.

Small curved razor file, then 220, then shellac.

I do this same thing on my heel caps- to reveal the bwb lines etc- looks great and is easy.

IMG_5971.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea, consider it borrowed, along with the mosaic headplate, a good way to put scrap wood to use! Would go well with a rosette done in a similar way.
Bob

Something I have always wanted to do: nails bent into staples as frets.

tn_20160821_110919.jpgtn_20160821_110924.jpg

Started with 50mm 18 gauge C1 brads cut the head off.
Bent them into staple like shapes.
measured out the fretboard with pencil
make pilot holes with pin
drill 1.6mm hole
put home made staples in
Clamp flat with a few spring clamps and a thin bit of stiff metal
Superglue on the ends.

Fret wire is a whole lot easier, especially if you have all the right tools and jigs but I think this has more Mojo.

Very classy Titch. Gives it a bound fretboard look too ... Sort of ☺️

Last edited:
Full acajou body, Mezzo Soprano 363 mm. scale 13th fret joining cedar neck in progress.
Danish Oil finish step.
All the building story with many pics on the blog.

6.jpg

Great idea, consider it borrowed, along with the mosaic headplate, a good way to put scrap wood to use! Would go well with a rosette done in a similar way.
Bob

Sculpting a headstock wave

I've been building a shipload of ukes lately Sopranos and a few Concert size..and now is the time to start finding them some new owners..this is the first one of the batch.. Cuban Mahogany body with Sapele and ebony neck.. Wish me luck :)

One thing going on in my shed is to gear-up by making jigs; here is my form to hold the bent sides.

The hole accepts a block, which is held in a vise, and allows access for other processes.

Last edited:
Nice shop. Where in Indiana are you? I was born and raised in Goshen.
Thanks for the compliment.

I'm near Columbus, south of Indy.
Nice form Rrgramps. I'd put a threaded rod through each end, as recent experience taught me that hinges and latches stretch. Of course, it may just be my imprecisely bent sides required more than the usual amount of force to get them to agree with the mold.... :rolleyes:

Even though these are 6-inch hinges and 6" latches, there is some play in them. Stew Mac has threaded rods in their molds, and it seemed like a good idea; not sure why I didn't go that route. There is room though to add them, and both 5/16" all-thread and knobs are already in my shop to do such.

Top Bottom